Honored Contributor

Re: Are you or were you a swimmer?

YES! My mom barely missed qualifying for the Olympics, so we were in the water at a young age. We always lived near an ocean or bay. I grew up at the pool and at the beach and taught swimming in high school when I was a senior and when I was home summers during college. I was also on a synchronized swim team in high school, and I started swimming in college, until I had to make a choice between that and academics! Many people can handle both; I couldn't. I still swim laps, but not as often as I used to. The pool has always been a relaxing place for me, and of course so has the beach!

DD followed me and became a lifeguard and swim instructor in high school. DS was on the swim team in middle school. When I met DH he didn't swim. I'd never met anyone who didn't! I tried to teach him, but that went "well." LOL! He finally took two swimming courses at the community college I taught at and now feels more comfortable in the water. His parents didn't like the water, so DH never learned. Now he loves the beach as much as I do. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Am not, and never was. I LOVED the water as a little kid but was born in the thick of terrible polio epidemics, and my mother would never permit me to go to pools where there were other people.

”Lonely but ambulatory” she thought, so although I’m not afraid of water and do know how to relax/float, I can otherwise only doggy paddle.

Contributor

Thanks for bring back wonderful memories.