Honored Contributor

Re: Are you or were you a swimmer?

(thread title)

Born in Public Housing Projects. No pools even close to where we lived. None of my 3 older sisters knew/know how to swim. Nebraska here and never felt the need to learn, only water close is the dirty Mo River, but I guess there are a few lakes(man made). 

That's the reason I never entered a Triathlon competition. Now if they would replace swimming with Ice Skating? Would have entered them in a second. Don't run anymore, but still biking many miles on my recumbent and ice skating.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I learned to swim in the early 50s at a community pool (which was sometimes closed during polio season); I have been a life long swimmer.  DH had also been a life long swimmer and swam competitively in HS and college; his specialty was butterfly (also played Water Polo).  When he had his first heart attack at 36 he survived because his heart had collateral circulation (from heavy aerobic exercise).

Respected Contributor

I grew up on the beach on the west coast and was swimming in the cold salt water from the age of three , and my Mom always had to bribe me to come in out of the water shivering with blue lips 😂

Respected Contributor

I learned to swim at a fairly early age. We didn't have much money, but there was a public pool within walking distance. My parents bought season tickets for the family. We spent all day there in the summer. Come home in time for dinner and sometimes back again for night swimming.

I think my mom enjoyed the break from 4 kids!

We swam in lakes, ponds, gravel pits and pretty much anywhere we could.  I am still a water baby.  

Respected Contributor

I enjoy a good swim. We have a pool here and with the solar and back up heat pump can swim all year round. 50-60 laps in the pool is great exercise. 

Honored Contributor

Yes I am.  It is one of the activities that was especially beneficial during rehab for total knee replacement surgery.

Honored Contributor

DH and I own a boat and a jet ski yet I do not know how to swim.  I grew up having a pool in our backyard and all our neighbors had them so we all went from house to house swimming all summer long.

As long as I can stand, I'm fine and I can swim around, so somersaults, swim under water, etc.  But if water is above my head, I totally and completely panic.   

Respected Contributor

yes  i love to swim.  my parents insistedd on it  i am 75 and still swim in the ocean and at the pool at the "Y''

Honored Contributor

I have never been a swimmer. I wish I had learned how to swim, fear has kept me from learning.

don't know why I have always had the fear . I always wondered if something happened to me when I was younger that caused me to have this major fear of swimming.

Trusted Contributor

I never learned how to swim, so I will only go in water that I can stand in.