Honored Contributor

Re: Are you on the hit list?

[ Edited ]

I've been getting random spoof calls off and on for a couple of years, all random numbers from all over the US.  Last Fri moning I received no less than 50 calls before 1 pm!!  I turned off my phone completely.   These phone calls/numbers rarely used the same number twice.  I even got voice mails asking why I keep calling their number??  I didn't!

I went to AT&T Mon morning and was told that it would be impossible to block all these random numbers that I was being spoofed and my number was being used to spoof others!  They said that getting a new phone number wouldn't do any good because they'd eventually use my new number.  I spent the $35 required to change my phone number because my phone had become impossible to use.  I've been in blissful quiet for one week now....  more of this and I'll seriously consider a flip phone!!  Woman Frustrated       

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I never answer my landline anymore.  Everything goes to voicemail.  I check messages occasionally and very few are legitimate.

And these scammers are persistent. The same debt collector called me everyday for about a year before they finally gave up. I knew it was a scam because I have been debt-free for a long time.

Honored Contributor

In my area, someone has figured out the perfect scam.

They are sending people bills from a local hospital.  The envelope and bill looks official.  They look professional and there is a return envelope enclosed.

The bill even offers a discount if you pay before a certain date.

Many people have fallen for this.  Some have called the hospital to question the bill and found out it was a scam.  Our local news channels have shown what the bills look like. They are identical to the real hospital bills.

Someone has put a lot of time and money into this scam and it seems to be working.

Be careful out there.  If you get a bill that you can't figure out, call and ask questions.

Esteemed Contributor

I was supposed to be arrested last year (or year before) 

still waiting

Honored Contributor

I would tell the caller to go ahead and click the phone off. I don't open emails I don't recognize. When our son was living and traveling out of the US we told him not to get kidnapped because he knows how we would handle that kind of call.

Honored Contributor

I'm pulling the shades.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14@LOL. "....hope nobody falls for that kind of ******

Honored Contributor

I got one something like this ,years ago. I reported it ,but I am sure nothing happened to the creeps that sent it

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I don't think I'd fall for that one.  I'm just not important enough to kill!

Trusted Contributor

All of these e-mail and phone scams are just getting to be beyond ridiculous now. Smiley Sad Smiley Frustrated

If you notice carefully, many of them have some type of grammatical errors in them. I have noticed that the robocalls are like that, too. 

We have gotten the ones from the IRS, and from Microsoft, too. 

The one from the IRS does sound rather intimidating, so I can see why an older person might be scared into responding to it, although it's a computerized robocall, asking you to call a specific phone number.

It does mention that you'll be arrested and going to jail, and that you're also being sued for back taxes that you didn't pay. 

The IRS will normally contact someone by regular mail if there is any kind of a problem with their taxes.