Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you now NOT eating out?

We eat out a lot as a rule.  We have continued to do so.  Most of the restaurant/bars are packed.  We just choose not so crowded places.  

It is refreshing to be out with people that aren't acting all doom and gloom.  If you are careful, use your sanitizer, etc. you will most likely be alright.  You could catch this going out to get your mail, to your doctor's office, filling up your car. I think all this worry and stress is worse for your health. 

At the end of the day I thank the Lord for protection and all that He has given me.  I try not to worry, but trust in something bigger than all of this.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have an excellent Chinese restaurant nearby. We sometimes eat there but usually do take-out. I will continue to pick up our take-out orders but I may use their delivery service. Other than that, as a high risk individual, I'll stay home.

Respected Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

Decided not to eat out at this time.  Having my groceries delivered.  I don't mind cooking for myself.  

______

I generally eat out only once a month.  This is only to go out to get cocktails and appetizers with a close girlfriend who is my neighbor. This coming Wednesday,  we decided to have her walk up to my house (three doors away) and hang out here.  

I don't eat out often for the following reasons:

1.  It's healthier because I am in control at home

2. It's very economical to eat at home

3. I love cooking, using my Big Green Egg, sometimes baking, and entertaining

Great forum thread! 

Frequent Contributor

Even if you are not concerned about getting sick, the idea of "social distancing" is to prevent the disease from spreading.

There is an excellent article in the Washington Post that explains "social distancing" and how it delays the spread of disease.  

"Fortunately, there are other ways to slow an outbreak. Above all, health officials have encouraged people to avoid public gatherings, to stay home more often and to keep their distance from others. If people are less mobile and interact with each other less, the virus has fewer opportunities to spread.

Some people will still go out. Maybe they cannot stay home because of their work or other obligations, or maybe they simply refuse to heed public health warnings. Those people are not only more likely to get sick themselves, they are more likely to spread simulitis, too."

Dr. Fauci this morning: "I would like to see a dramatic diminution of the personal interaction that we see in restaurants and in bars."

If we can delay the spread and spread out the infection of the population time wise, then hospitals (ICU's, ventilators) will hopefully not be inundated (like Italy) and treatment will be possible for more people.

The right thing to do is to stay home whenever possible and keep your distance from people when you need to go out.  You can become a carrier and not know it, leading to the spread of the disease.  

Think of social distancing as something you do for everyone else, not just yourself.

Esteemed Contributor

Still eating out. In fact we went out for breakfast yesterday and most of the people were in the danger group of over 60. We all survived. 

Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Still eating out. In fact we went out for breakfast yesterday and most of the people were in the danger group of over 60. We all survived. 

Cant you make oatmeal or cereal at home much safer ?  Dr. Fauci is recommending we practice social distancing. Anyone over 60 needs to be especially careful until we get the all clear from Dr. Fauci.

Honored Contributor

My mom and I eat out usually once a week on Fridays when we run errands. We stopped a week ago.

I have no intention of being in a restaurant, fast food, or to order in either, including pizza. 

During high school and college I worked in fast food. I have lots of friends and friends of my adult kid that work in the restaurant industry now. 

During good times, it is dicey about the cleanliness of the operations and the people working in them. Most of the people working in the industry don't get paid if they don't come to work, and they come to work sick a lot. 

I'm staying out, to stay healthy to keep available to my elderly mother. If I contract this, I have no backup to do the things for her that I do. The last thing I want is for this to get to her, and at this point they are saying this is much more easily spread than other types of virus. 

So no eating out for us right now. In fact, I made a fresh food run last Wed. and I'm kind of leery about doing it again this week. I eat a lot of raw produce, and I'm not sure I want to buy it right now.

Honored Contributor

I can understand the need for social distancing.  But what about all those people who are crammed into airports right now???  

I went to pick up a scrip at CVS yesterday.  Only a couple of people in line at the pharmacy counter, but we were each giving some space between us. I was next to the first in line, holding back about 3 feet, and a woman came up to me and asked if I was in line.  I indicated that I was.  She asked if I would please move up (closer to the next person).  I said "no".  She then said "oh!"  It' not easy to do what we're supposed to do, if only some do.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@ShanusWhy would a decrease in customers cause food not to be handled properly?

Our experience at restaurants is that the busier they are, the better the service, the hotter and fresher the foods. 

If they are slow, they products on hand sit longer and aren't as fresh, exposed to germs of sick employees longer etc. 

In the food industry, you want fast turn over of foods, for optimum freshness and quality.

Honored Contributor

Yes I "got" that part of Shanus' post that the food might "not be as fresh."