Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you “into” the holidays?

When my son was little DH & I were into making a fuss for the Holidays.We were younger,had more energy & most of all wanted to make special Holiday memories.

My son is grown now & is no longer awe struck over the Holidays.DH & I enjoy the time we spend with family & friends.We no longer feel the need to over decorate, over shop, or over stress.

Unlike others I have no interest in shopping for Christmas or decorating at all until Thanksgiving is over.At that time I keep both down to a minimum.

DH & I focus on the people we care about while we still can.That's what the Holidays have come to mean to us.

Honored Contributor

I know that anticipating the holidays was especially difficult for me after I lost my mother and I certainly understand your feelings. I am sure you aren’t asking for advice...but if you want to help out some nonprofits or churches that serve the needy during the holidays in your area, I am sure there are several who would love to have you involved! L
Honored Contributor

I go to World Market every year to get my big tin of Nyakers gingersnaps. Don’t ever settle for another gingersnap..these are by far the best. Bought them a few days ago and we have already opened them and have been eating a few....they remind me the holidays are almost here.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just learned that it will just be me and DH here for Thanksgiving. Everyone else is going out of town to various places. DH can’t travel right now due to recovering from leg surgery. I had already bought the food I needed to make most of the dinner...so now have a huge turkey and a turkey breast and a lot of other things I only buy during the holidays. I think I I’ll get takeout for Thanksgiving, depressing, but no reason to cook for just us. Wish we had known sooner we would be alone. DH is not happy about it.

Esteemed Contributor

The past few years I am not into the holidays like i used to be. This year I am having a lot of trouble thinking of what to buy my family. I have 2 adult married children, and my 3 grandkids are now 21, 19, and 15. But i make the best of it for them. (DH was never into the holidays, he said too much is focused on spending, rather than the true meaning). I used to JOKE and say ok bah humbug to him, but now I agree. Its just not the same anymore.

In fact, we downsized to a 5 foot tree 2 yrs ago, and this year instead of him lighting up the entire front of the house, (bushes trees and all), I said to DH to just put lights around the window and door. (and Ill have some Christmas nik nak type things inside, but i got rid of a lot)

Lastly, (And I hate to do this!) But its going to soon come to that we will hand out money and a gift or 2 to each. Just don't know what to buy, everyone has everything they need I guess! lol (we used to make lists but no one has lists, just gave me a few suggestions, and I am thinking up the rest on my own).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

Never was, probably never will be.  I participated for others, but I think I'm missing the "holiday gene."

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

No kids, no gift giving, no parties, and it seems to last forever.  Expectations and guilt seem to be popular. Nope, not into holidays.

Respected Contributor

i do not wish to sound like "Debbie Downer" but no.  I have lost my mother in January, dad in March and my little dog is 14 years old.  I truly know the meaning of Christmas is about Jesus and the gift of eternal life he has offered to me.  I attend church and thank God that I am relatively healthy but being alone will suck the wind out of your sails.  No gift can replace your family!  Full hearts is where its at.....................

Honored Contributor

No, not at all----too much exploitation of this time of year----I do a little decorating but no shopping as we don't do that anymore--have no small kids to fuss over. I think I am a little bah humbug anymore------

Honored Contributor

Every single year except for 2013 when I lost my Mom.  The next year I was a Grandmother so the whole world became brighter and a brand new type joy of Christmas than I had as a child then as a Mom myself. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."