Honored Contributor

Re: Are you “into” the holidays?

[ Edited ]

Despite it being a good concept, Thanksgiving has always been what I would consider a 'minor' holiday, important but not all that festive. Growing up, I was into it only to the extent it meant a good dinner and big family gatherings, but it was more or less a dress rehearsal for Christmas and besides, we only got two days off from school... Christmas was always the main event... It's a festival rather than a day and it was accompanied by lights and music, family gatherings, neighborhood parties, good food, presents and two weeks off from school... As a college student, once again, Christmas ruled the roost... It was a chance to go home for more than just a few days to see family and friends and all the same virtues of the holiday that applied as a child still, more or less applied... As a young adult, Christmas represented the first chance to decorate one's own home, have one's own parties, mingle with friends and family and so on, as an adult... So yes, for most of those years, I was into the holidays... At this point, I recognize them, still decorate, though more modestly, but don't find that I'm any longer really 'into' them... It's a combination of often having 'been there done that' and honestly, as we all know, things change...

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I used to be much more into the holidays when I was younger but now that my kids are older and my parents and DH's parents are gone, the enthusiam has diminished.  My aunt, my mother's sister, has hated the holiday season since my mother died 7 years ago.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I hold Christmas very dear in my heart, much like Easter.  We like the specialness of it, and do a simple-to-moderate amount of decorating, baking and cooking.  That part is on a "relaxed" schedule!

Truly, for me the event of Christmas is a signal reminder of what I'm living for, and looking forward to, as history unfolds.  I feel awe and draw inspiration from what it represents.  The superficial trappings "around" Christmas can be fun (or sometimes a bit onerous, at times) but they don't deter me from the purpose of the season.

what purpose? Santa Claus and Rudolph?

Esteemed Contributor

I do Christmas "light" - and when surrounded by others who go all out for Christmas, I don't feel pressure to conform or criticize. We have family traditions which are simple and fun. That's the part of holidays I enjoy. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What I love most about my childhood Christmases is how quiet and relaxed they were.   The entire day was strictly family time.   We didn’t go anywhere, no one came to visit, it was just the 5 of us together, all day. I love that memory.    

I truly wish I had realized that precious memory many years ago when our first daughter was small, and established the same tradition in our household.   Instead, we got caught up trying to please grandparents and great grandmothers, which is why our daughters have 30+ years of memories of tiring, on the go Christmases, and never being able to enjoy their gifts until the day after.   

Our changes towards a comfortable, peaceful, family Christmas came after my MIL passed, and we put our foot down as to doing what makes us happy.    

Respected Contributor

Thanksgiving first.   That one is easy.  We're going out for lunch and then I'll watch the Cowboys game.

Then xmas.   Less decorating this year and probably no tree .  I'll cook for xmas eve and day.

From the looks of things, I'm not really that 'into' either one.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine 919 

That's funny.   My World Market is right next door to BB&B too.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@sunshine 919 

That's funny.   My World Market is right next door to BB&B too.

Bridgegal, do you like it?  I thought it was nice.  The ornaments were in front so I didn't see all the store.  Next time I will go in there on purpose to check it out lol

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden
I think you are forgetting that for many, Christmas is still a religious holiday. For Catholics, there is the season of Advent in preparation, plus Christmas which is also a season, not just a single day.
Honored Contributor

I would be happy if we jumped from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day.  I find the Christmas holiday very depressing and lonely.  I've had some horrible experiences on Christmas and just can't get into it.  

I do love Christmas Mass.  A family in our parish is very talented and they are the choir for the one I attend each year.  It's truly amazing.

I enjoy our family gathering on Christmas Eve.  There are 43 of us just with siblings, our families, and my dad.  It's so good to have everyone together.