Honored Contributor

Re: Are you “into” the holidays?

@Oznell wrote:

I hold Christmas very dear in my heart, much like Easter.  We like the specialness of it, and do a simple-to-moderate amount of decorating, baking and cooking.  That part is on a "relaxed" schedule!

Truly, for me the event of Christmas is a signal reminder of what I'm living for, and looking forward to, as history unfolds.  I feel awe and draw inspiration from what it represents.  The superficial trappings "around" Christmas can be fun (or sometimes a bit onerous, at times) but they don't deter me from the purpose of the season.

************  Lovely post and so well expressed. 

Respected Contributor

I used to be but since losing my Mom not so much anymore.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  well said.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

What I love most about my childhood Christmases is how quiet and relaxed they were.   The entire day was strictly family time.   We didn’t go anywhere, no came to visit, it was just the 5 of us together, all day. I love that memory.    

I truly wish I had realized that precious memory many years ago when our first daughter was small, and established the same tradition I n our household.   Instead, we got caught up trying to please grandparents and great grandmothers, which is why our daughters have 30+ years of memories of tiring, on the go Christmases, and never being able to enjoy their gifts until the day after.   

Our changes towards a comfortable, peaceful, family Christmas came after my MIL passed, and we put our foot down as to doing what makes us happy.    

Our first child had health problems when she was young.  After her first two Christmases of shuttling her around to both sets of grandparents (as she was the only grandchild), I decided to have everyone come to my house for Christmas if they wanted to see their grandchild.  Both sets of grandparents are gone now but I still host Christmas and it was the best decision I ever made.

Holidays are always centered on our girls.  We went to WDW one year for Thanksgiving.  Two years ago we went to visit DD1 at Christmas when she was studying abroad in Italy.  This year we are going to visit her in England as she is studying at Cambridge.  We are spending two weeks there - one in Paris and one in London.

Respected Contributor

I think I'm "into" the holidays.   I enjoy all things Christmas. Actually ANY holiday,  I'm all inclusive like that.  You have a celebration I want to know ALL about it!    I have never ever been a person influanced by commercials so I don't mind seeing/ignoring the hype.  I like to start early so I can take my time.  I'm slow to put things up and slow to put them away.  I've seriously considered doing my "Christmas" entertaining on Epiphany.  I'm Just about ready for Christmas by then.  I do NOT burden myself with a whirlwind schedule but I DO like to plan for things I want to do.  The City park Tree lighting,  The High School Concert.  Buying a wreath and a cup of hot cider from the local Boy Scout troop.  A couple of Crafts fair / Lunches with friends.  and Plenty of quiet time.  Sometimes just unwrapping the Nativity and putting the light globes on the tree before the main decorating is a lovely relaxing, contemplative afternoons activity.  I hope you find some simple joys to smile about this Christmas Season. 

Super Contributor

Beautiful post @Oznell. I believe that many of us have mixed feelings about the holidays. As a Christian (not Catholic), the spiritual part means a great deal to me. I miss people and animals that have passed. Even during challenging times, our family was able to pull together and make the holidays enjoyable. Even through tears, I try to be grateful for every day and mindful that there are others that are worse off. I do not think any snarky remarks are helpful. We need to be respectful of each other’s journeys. My best wishes to all, Lady Alice
Honored Contributor

No not alot---but I do decorate some for Xmas--I love to decorate for fall however but this year, we moved out of my house for major repair to it,  and just got back home a few weeks ago---not sure where my fall stuff is and we are still  living amongst boxes--hopfully before Xmas, I will have my house in order----now I wonder where my Xmas decor is???? Woman Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

NOPE........

Super Contributor

No I am not...never really have been either. As someone who has dealt with anxiety and depression for most of my adult life, the holiday season makes me feel even worse. Single with no kids, no parties or functions to attend and only a tiny family gathering that could be ruined if a certain drama filled relative shows up. My area has harsh winters (snow already on the ground here) and the getting dark at 5:00PM around this time of year doesn't help matters.  

I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have wondered how this intense, long-running Christmas train can turn back to a spiritual holiday that doesn't last for 8 weeks. I would love Christmas holiday to last 2 weeks. That includes decorations, lights, gatherings, commercials, events. Two weeks and done. That's me and my busy life talking but I bet I would agree when I'm 70.

Jamstan -- I hear ya. My adult son deals with anxiety and keeping things simple help him cope with life.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau