Respected Contributor

Re: Are you interested or care about the Royals and the wedding etc....

@straykatz wrote:

The wedding is current news and a nice distraction from the daily stuff that dominates our news.  I watched Diana and Charles wedding, did not watch William and Kate, not sure what my plans will be for this one.  

I remember getting up at some ungodly hour to attend a wedding watching party for Diana and Charles. Loved it.

I watched the last royal wedding but doubt I'll  watch this one. (it will be difficult to not see clips of it for days to follow)  There's something about the bride-to-be that I find off-putting. I do wish them well.

Super Contributor

@chiclet   Totally agree with you.   Any mention of "royalty" makes me ill ~~ people snubbing their nose at people not in their "class" is a sin.    Markle just happened along when Harry was feeling his biological clock ticking, and the thought of a divorced actress giving him a second look excited him.   

Whether the royals bring in revenue to UK's economy is ridiculous.  The taxes needed to "keep up 10 castles, staff, etc." would not touch what vacationers fork over.    When Diana died, that should have been the end of this travesty.  That poor girl would be alive today if it were not for Charles and his adulterous ways.

Trusted Contributor

I do care and while other countries have an interesting history with their own monarchy, if they are not in the news I don't think about them.  Not interested in Monaco's at all though since Grace Kelly passed which made me very sad and I cried just like when Diana died. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Vivian wrote:

I’ve had a rotten year and following the birth of the latest royal baby and the upcoming marriage are pure escapism for me. So are the cooking and home-buying channels. Sometimes we just have to escape real life.

That's the best reason I've heard yet why people are drawn to the Royals. Also, that must be why people love and defend the rich in general, they want to be them and fantasize about it. I have 0 interest in their wedding or their lives.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think it's fun, and can admire the pageantry, without necessarily admiring the people involved, with a few exceptions.

Having grown up largely in a "Commonwealth" country, (Canada), it almost comes with the territory-- no matter how down-to-earth and small "d" democratic the Canadian society, most people take a mild to lively interest in the British royals and their history.  Their history, of course, is entwined with that of the culture.

The egalitarian Yank in me, the part that relishes living in this great, egalitarian Republic, finds the idea of royalty, in theory, to be frivolous and not really relevant.  Yet it is an intrinsic part of many countries, and combined as it is often with a parliamentary democracy, can co-exist quite admirably.

i enjoy the royal pageant in all its colorful history. 

Honored Contributor

I'm really not very interested in the comings and goings of royalty in any country.  However, we seem to have a handful of board participants who seem endlessly fascinated with them and post many more threads than I'm interested in reading.  I don't quite understand the appeal.  As someone else said, they haven't done a darn thing to earn their lifestyle except be born into the right family.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

So to the point..if not interested in the Royals? Do you plan watching or reading about the up coming Royal wedding on May 19th?  Be honest. Woman Wink

I will watch video clips when it's over, to see their r0yal rituals and so forth.

Honored Contributor

I'll only watch what's unavoidable on the news.  Won't watch it live.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I hope this means we can have a PRO-wedding post and an ANTI-wedding post.....such a polarizing topic......

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Diana's sons are good people and selected good women. I trust England is proud of them. I like it that Harry's marrying an American. Details about the wedding are interesting, but that's about it. As far as royalty being privileged, sure, they are. But I live in one of the richest, free countries in the world and think I've been given an undeserved, great gift.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau