Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you going to the beach this weekend?

Spent a lovely hour this afternoon at Playa del Decka. (aka my deck).

I usually avoid the crowds at the beach and visit in September and October.

Honored Contributor

A pool party in the Ozarks this weekend:

https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thumb/1264394513520435203/pu/img/fuGGU5WVTxrACgej?format=jpg&name=small

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That Ozark pool party image is quite the contrast to the closed Arlington National Cemetery.  There's something horrifically poetic about it.

Honored Contributor

No.  But I am thinking of making the macaroni salad that was posted

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Free2be wrote:

That Ozark pool party image is quite the contrast to the closed Arlington National Cemetery.  There's something horrifically poetic about it.

@Free2be, yes, and the Governor of Arkansas, despite their largest single-day case rise just days ago, says it is a matter of self-discipline and testing. "“We take the virus very seriously. It’s a risk, it causes death, but you can’t cloister yourself at home, that is just contrary to the American spirit,”

Apparently enforcement or more deliberate phasing is contrary to our spirit..

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I am so glad I live where I do........

Respected Contributor

Here's to that spirit, or in these together, spirits:

EY0NZLbUYAAIek3.jpg

Honored Contributor

That pool party at the Ozarks is such recklessness and ignorance it is despicable.

I will go to the beach when I feel safe and know that people are doing what they are supposed to do to be safe.  I do feel for the businesses that line the boardwalks.  They count on tourism of course to survive.  

It isn't easy but I feel it is still a risk and therefore will take it day to day. 

Honored Contributor

Only now is sacrifice for the greater good against our cherished American spirit.

No wonder most of us stand in awe of the Greatest Generation.  They had guts, strength and a spirit of self-sacrifice for a higher good that most of us can never dream of equaling.  Many truly have no concept of striving for something beyond themselves.

Something has been lost along the way.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

Only now is sacrifice for the greater good against our cherished American spirit.

No wonder most of us stand in awe of the Greatest Generation.  They had guts, strength and a spirit of self-sacrifice for a higher good that most of us can never dream of equaling.  Many truly have no concept of striving for something beyond themselves.

Something has been lost along the way.

@golding76  I do agree something has been lost along the way, even during my lifetime, which has offered me no direct experience with the 'greatest generation'. The cumulative American psyche, if it can be said there is one, has changed. Some changes have probably been for the better, and some, clearly, were not.  It seems to me that the elusive concepts of 'character' and 'strength of character' might have taken regular hits over time. That said though, I have to admit a certain weariness with the many attempts to draw parallels between this virus experience and events of the 30's and 40's. I'm sorry, it just doesn't compute.

Despite some similarities, the hardships then and now do not equate. I'm not suggesting that today's hardships trump those of yesteryear because they don't. They're just different. Still, today's difficulties are essentially forcing many people to shoulder the challenges on their own, with little support, which was not at all the case back during the war years, when people could take a certain amount of comfort from each other. Today's message about us all being in this together is clearly superseded by another prominent buzz phrase 'alone together'. Frankly, it just doesn't fly and I think what we're seeing is a social species, for better or worse, having had their fill of 'alone together'... It was only a matter of time..

The oft touted scientists need to come up with something more significant than the stop-gap measures they've now been espousing for nearly half a year, because those measures alone are clearly not going to end this reign of terror... Social distancing, hand washing and masks might help but they are not the long-term answer and quite frankly, the scientific community's contributions to date have really been rather disappointing to say the least...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...