Trusted Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

No, though by the looks of things in my community, we will be the oddity of NOT participating in Halloween.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Super Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

That sounds like fun !!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

@sunala wrote:

Not a chance.

We will be home but we're not answering the door. People can be as stupid as they want to be outside my door, but that's as far as they're getting.

Too bad it's a Saturday and I hear the weather will be clear. The parents can be morons, creating moron children, but we want no part of it. We haven't been staying home since March to blow it giving out candy on a stupid holiday.

@sunala @You said it well.   Couldn't have said it better myself.   

--       -      ---

Actually, I don't think calling people stupid,and morons, is saying it well, at all! 

I live in a large, newer condo complex, that has never permitted door to door trick or treating.

They've always held a huge Halloween party, also open to non residents. They asked a donation of $1 per child, $2 per adult, and the money was donated to a local food bank,and county animal shelter.  

It was a great, fun party, that, of course, won't happen this year.  Residents have, until, Oct. 31st, to still donate to the fund raiser.  I hope, our donation, will still be generous!

Honored Contributor

Our apartment community is setting up the playgrounds where people can bring their candy and the kids can trick or treat.  

They are quite security-minded here - and indoor trick or treating isn't allowed.

And - our parish is doing the same - setting up tables outside for parish kids and neighborhood kids.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our trick or treat is scheduled for Saturday evening and I do plan on masking up and giving out candy. 

My street is very hit or miss every year with how many kids we get so I'm not sure what to expect.  Most cities are having TOT Saturday evening.  A couple had it this past Sunday and my one friend said they had 200+ kids come through.

Our local health department suggested people make a candy slide out of a PVC pipe.  Super simple to buy a piece of pipe, cut to desired length and drop the candy down the pipe right into someone's bag.  I just plan on handing it out but I can understand if people are nervous about this.     

I'm a little surprised we are still having it given the state of things in Ohio.  My county is in the red which is a level 3 emergency and several counties are on the verge of going into purple which is a level 4 emergency.  However, our governor has said he is leaving things up to local mayors to do what needs to be done. 

Valued Contributor

I quit participating in Halloween many, many years ago when the trick-or-treaters were taller than me.

Honored Contributor

@sunala wrote:

Not a chance.

We will be home but we're not answering the door. People can be as stupid as they want to be outside my door, but that's as far as they're getting.

Too bad it's a Saturday and I hear the weather will be clear. The parents can be morons, creating moron children, but we want no part of it. We haven't been staying home since March to blow it giving out candy on a stupid holiday.

@sunala , wow.  This is rather harsh.  

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

@rms1954 No one is making children suffer. It could be said we are preventing children from catching a deadly disease which would really make them suffer. 

Or just being selfish because after all you have to worry about YOU.

@rms1954 , of course she should worry about herself.  Maybe if everyone worried a little bit more about themselves and others, we wouldn't be in this mess. 

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Yes, of course.  Decorated a pvc pipe like a dragon .  Candy will slide down the pipe to the children's bag.  Shame people just give up rather than find ways to make things work.

@CrazyDaisy 

I've seen many of those online that people are making, the only thing is your home has to have an incline (such as stairs)  for the candy to slide down to the kids below.

If you're in a split level home with no incline, you'd have to build a ramp or something to create an incline.

I've seen quite a few creative ideas beside that, where a guy set up a clothes line with pulley to his porch and to a post at the sidewalk.

He has a spooky ghost attached to it, holding a bucket of candy, and wheels the ghost down the line when kids approached, then reels in back in to refill his bucket.

@KingstonsMom , I'm confused.  Why couldn't you just hold the PVC pipe at a slight incline yourself and drop the candy down.  That's all I would do.   

Honored Contributor

I have lived in this home 26 years and have never had Trick or Treaters. If some should show up,we have candy for them.

Our driveway is too long and dark. If we had kids I would NEVER allow them up our driveway.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man