Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

For the first time in 40 years,sadly I won't be answering the door to Trick Or Treaters.Covid is real.The infection rate is slowly ticking up.So I will close the front lights & ignore the doorbell.

Honestly.I would never allow a child of mine to go door to door Trick Or Treating in this environment.It just isn't safe.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

Too bad that you make the children suffer.

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 No one is making children suffer. It could be said we are preventing children from catching a deadly disease which would really make them suffer. 

Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

@rms1954 No one is making children suffer. It could be said we are preventing children from catching a deadly disease which would really make them suffer. 

Or just being selfish because after all you have to worry about YOU.

Respected Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@chessylady, I agree.  Children tend to be very reslient not to mention that trick or treating is a relatively new activity.  Kids didn't go trick or treating when my parents were kids. 

Not to mention that many areas have come up with great alternative activities that kids will probably love.  Zoos are having trick or treating, there are haunted car washes, drive through haunted corn mazes, and many other activities in areas that planned well for the situation. @Sooner even had a good idea that she posted about.  

I think kids will be fine if they miss trick or treating for one year.  Heck, they may even like doing some of the other activities better than trick or treating.  Who knows? 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

Of course...the kids have fun & I enjoy it too.

Honored Contributor

We usually dress up and participate in a "trunk or treat." We always leave a tub of candy out at home with a sign, and usually more than half is left. One of the morning shows had a young doctor on who recommended putting a few pieces of candy in a plastic lunch bag. That way the kids wouldn't be rummaging around. 

So even though we will be home we will do that, adding a Halloween pencil to the bag. 

DH usually comes home early to carve two pumpkins- this year we bought Valerie's. Love them!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@sunala wrote:

Not a chance.

We will be home but we're not answering the door. People can be as stupid as they want to be outside my door, but that's as far as they're getting.

Too bad it's a Saturday and I hear the weather will be clear. The parents can be morons, creating moron children, but we want no part of it. We haven't been staying home since March to blow it giving out candy on a stupid holiday.

@sunala @You said it well.   Couldn't have said it better myself.   

Honored Contributor

We have never participated except when kids of people we knew let us know they were coming.  At one time it was neighborhood kids who everyone knew and the people would try to guess who it was  but then it became kids coming from all over and the "kids" were way too old and big.  I never even liked going when I was a kid especially after a little girl was lured in a house and murdered in my area.  Parents tell their kids don't take anything from strangers and then let them go around asking for candy from strangers  then tell them don't eat any until every piece of candy is examined...well time to stop the nonsense!!

Respected Contributor

No I am not opening the door and handing out candy but I am leaving a bowl on my porch in the early evening in case any younger children come by trick or treating.  Later in the evening I will bring the bowl inside and turn out the lights.  Don't need any greedy teenagers harassing me if the bowl is empty.