Honored Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

Of course not. I am not going to encourage that kind of thing.

The parents can ensure their kids have a fun time in a safe manner that doesn't involve approaching neighbors and strangers of varying health levels. And any child that would show up to trick or treat, would be evidence that their parents weren't insisting on taking precautions, making that child more of a risk to be around than the average. It's a self selecting group of riskier people running around as if it were fine to catch and spread Covid.

All the more reason to turn off the porch light this year. There's always next year, and hopefully if their parents are wise, all the kids will still be around to celebrate and look cute in their costumes then.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

I have given out candy every year but do not ever have that many trick or treaters.  I decided if I had young children I would not want them to go so I am turning out the light this year.  

Super Contributor

I have not in years past and not this year.  There are no children in my neighborhood any longer.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva 

LOL!

I guess you're right, but as a 'shortie', I'd have to stand on a chair or a ladder to create enough incline, LOL!

And I certainly no longer do ladders, I kearned my lesson!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

ABSOLUTELY NOT... I will put up a caution strip that says "wet paint" so no one comes up the front steps.

Esteemed Contributor

No, but I have never liked Halloween.  We haven't given out candy for years.  

Whatever the Halloween version is for Bah, humbug! Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

It's a non issue for me because we haven't had trick or treaters for years. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

No, but then I have not given out candy for close to 20 years. Originally, it was because I had a big dog, that was in the house most of the time, and that's just not a good combination with kids, and masks. LOL!!

After I had to put him down, I just did not feel like opening my door, especially since some of the kids, were too ****** old to be calling themselves kids trying to get free candy. 

Regular Contributor

They just canceled Trick or Treat night in our condo complex.  We've had 2 in the development come down with Covid and the number of infected in the county went over 150.  They posted a sign at the entrance of the development that it was canceled.  We will still have police patrolling just in case.  Happy Halloween 2020

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Yes, we got the town's email saying it's from 4 to 7. I'll set the candy container out on our bench with a label that says 'Take A Treat'. The one thing I might do differently is turn off the light and bring in the bowl at 6pm. Frankly, I expect very few kids but I bought 60 candy bars.

60 candy bars on a bench with a sign and no monitor present would last about 5 minutes, if that long at my house.  Most of the kids who knock on my door are older and have no parents with them.  

I would be surprised if the bowl was still there at the end of the evening.