Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

@Sooner wrote:

I hope they call it off in central Oklahoma and westward.  There are so many gigantic trees down from the ice storm and they won't all be cleared for months and somebody will get hurt.  In some places ice was 2.5 inches deep on the lines--about 5" diameter.  That's just unreal.

You can't get to our front door for the limbs from a giant oak tree we lost.  It is like a war zone or tornado hit for miles and miles and miles.  300,000 I think still without power and that was a couple of days ago.  What a mess.

@Sooner  - omg I'm so sorry. I actually haven't read the paper or watched the news in a while except for very local stories. I'm going to Google this ice storm and see what happened.

Please stay safe, and I can understand how Halloween would be the furthest thing from your mind. Take care and be well!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@sunala wrote:

Not a chance.

We will be home but we're not answering the door. People can be as stupid as they want to be outside my door, but that's as far as they're getting.

Too bad it's a Saturday and I hear the weather will be clear. The parents can be morons, creating moron children, but we want no part of it. We haven't been staying home since March to blow it giving out candy on a stupid holiday.

@sunala , wow.  This is rather harsh.  

@Lipstickdiva- hi, I know it's harsh, but it's how I feel. There is no reason to be knocking on stranger's doors in the middle of a pandemic begging for a piece of candy. Children do understand a lot more than people think, and if it's explained to them in a way they can understand, I think they'd be agreeable to an alternate plan that's safe for the kiddies as well as the adults.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@sunala, I'm so glad that your family recovered.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I have no idea if kids will show up, but the lights will be on and we'll have full-size chocolate bars.

And, for safety, masks.

These masks.

HalloweenMasks2020.jpg

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

No outside lights on.

I put a disposable face mask on my screen door.

underneath it

Stay safe and healthy. No trick or treating.

Honored Contributor

They are doing a community Trick and Treat up the street, so this should make the kids happy

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I don't think I'm going to have any trick or treaters this year.

Just a fact of life.

Plus, my development has banned trick or treating door to door.  Candy will  be handed out in the multiple playgrounds in my development.

So I hope the kids can have some semblance of a good time.

Trusted Contributor

No, we will not be giving out candy this year. We have lived in our house for 31years and this is only the second time we haven't participated in Halloween. The first time was about ten years ago when our neighbors daughter got married that day. We usually get at least 100 kids, most of which live nowhere near our neighborhood. That doesn't really bother me because I get a kick out of seeing the kids. My hubby and I discussed it a couple of weeks ago and decided not to risk it. Both my husband and our son who lives with us work in hospitals. So our risk factor is already a little higher. We decided not to risk it. Hopefully next year.🎃

Trusted Contributor

I am giving out candy. I filled over 200 bags of candy that will be placed at the bottom of the stairs (at the sidewalk) for the kids. Bottle of hand sanitizer out too. I will sit on my front porch (well over 6 feet away) and wave to the kids and parents. My town's facebook site and the next door site have lots of people who indicated that they plan to take their kids out and will have them wear masks and social distance from other trick or treaters.

Respected Contributor

I love Halloween and private parties, but I do not participate in handing out candy from my home.  I agree that with what we've gone thru this year, it would be so inappropriate for parents to take kids out in the neighborhoods.  I'm not supporting that!