Honored Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Mindy D  YES!! Our township is following suggestions from the CDC. They request we package our candy in individual bags and position them, separated, on a table or bench in the driveway. I've already bagged them:

Candy2.jpg

We are to sit at least 6 feet behind the table. I'm planning to decorate the table with an orange tablecloth, Fall colored twinkle lights and battery operated candles. We also have those flame-like solar, tiki torches from the back yard that I'm going to put along the driveway. I sure hope we get Halloweeners this year. I just love them! I'm thinking of providing sanitizing hand wipes if any parents want them. Oh, and I'm bringing my Duraflame candle heater outside to keep us warm!

That's pretty cool! You've really put a lot of thought into this. I appreciate all the effort you're going to and I hope it works out well for you. This I can pretty much support (I'd sit back a bit farther than 6 ft.)--not that anyone needs to consider my support one way or another. Still, this is a neat plan.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

No, living in the boonies has many advantages.  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I really think that some are overstating the importance of this night. It sounds as some adults are seemingly more invested than children might be. Or maybe it's just that they want to make a point about how the feel regarding the restrictions to keep us safe.

Children should be familiar by now with the problem. If I had young kids today, I would plan something at home that would be fun for them and maybe some friends whose parents I knew well enough to verify that they have been following the guidelines.

@suzyQ3 , for some kids, this is a big deal.  Not all kids come from a great home and don't have parents that are going to do anything special or fun for them. If they don't go out trick or treating, it's going to be another night stuck at home in a bad situation.    

I seriously doubt we are going to get many kids, especially seeing how cold it's going to be, but if kids are out there, I'm going to be passing out candy.  I've been working through all of this so I'm not bothered handing out candy.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I really think that some are overstating the importance of this night. It sounds as some adults are seemingly more invested than children might be. Or maybe it's just that they want to make a point about how the feel regarding the restrictions to keep us safe.

Children should be familiar by now with the problem. If I had young kids today, I would plan something at home that would be fun for them and maybe some friends whose parents I knew well enough to verify that they have been following the guidelines.

@suzyQ3 , for some kids, this is a big deal.  Not all kids come from a great home and don't have parents that are going to do anything special or fun for them. If they don't go out trick or treating, it's going to be another night stuck at home in a bad situation.    

I seriously doubt we are going to get many kids, especially seeing how cold it's going to be, but if kids are out there, I'm going to be passing out candy.  I've been working through all of this so I'm not bothered handing out candy.   

Oh, I know it's a big deal for many kids, no matter their circumstances. But what I read in some posts here seemed a bit over the top. @Lipstickdiva

Anyway, I thought the whole traditional house-to-house thing had pretty much given way to safer community celebrations, which could fairly easily take place with Covid precautions.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I made some cute treat bags for however many trick or treaters I get.  It's supposed to be cold.

I'll probably wear a mask.  I don't suspect it's going to be a problem.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I hope they call it off in central Oklahoma and westward.  There are so many gigantic trees down from the ice storm and they won't all be cleared for months and somebody will get hurt.  In some places ice was 2.5 inches deep on the lines--about 5" diameter.  That's just unreal.

You can't get to our front door for the limbs from a giant oak tree we lost.  It is like a war zone or tornado hit for miles and miles and miles.  300,000 I think still without power and that was a couple of days ago.  What a mess.

Honored Contributor

After many years of candy-giving in our always-thronged neighborhood, we opted out a few years ago. Our street invariably gets droves and droves of kids, from miles around.  Our town has the typical little advisory to trick or treaters-- hallowe'en hours are from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.;  if a house's porch light is not on, the household is probably not participating.  

We found that to be true-- when our porch light is turned off, we don't get trick or treaters.  They're well trained, ha.

But if we wanted to do it this year, we'd just stay a fair distance and mask while giving out the wrapped treats.  It's a pretty open-air situation, one that we'd feel comfortable with.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Reading a lot into people's responses.

It is the parents choice based on their particular situation.  Just as the persons handing out candy has a choice.  Shame some what to continually control other peoples lives because their situation may dictate a certain level of care.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

For the first time ever - we are NOT giving out candy.

The past few years we've had fewer trick-or-treaters anyway and I'm not buying candy to give out to an unknown number which will probably be reduced this year to maybe 10 kids.

Plus Covid, you know?  I don't need any unknown people coming close to us.  We're immune compromised and 65. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

No.  Our town has "Trunk or Treat".  Various organizations decorate a vehicle and park it on the square and have candy that they give from the trunk of the vehicle.  In my opinion, that is where the trick or treaters should go to get their candy and not canvas the neighborhoods.  I belong to one of the organizations that participates in this and buy candy to donate.  Candy is too expensive to do both.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta