Honored Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

I really think that some are overstating the importance of this night. It sounds as some adults are seemingly more invested than children might be. Or maybe it's just that they want to make a point about how the feel regarding the restrictions to keep us safe.

Children should be familiar by now with the problem. If I had young kids today, I would plan something at home that would be fun for them and maybe some friends whose parents I knew well enough to verify that they have been following the guidelines.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

I'm not going to turn all my lights off because we will be home.  My front door is always open at night. 

I've had a large glass and wrought iron lantern lit with an orange pillar for almost a month now right inside my front door.  It's my *piece de resistance* for Halloween decorations.

There are only 3 children that live on this street year round and I'm not sure about surrounding streets.  So we bought a dozen Hershey Bars and two dozen Reese's cups.  I'm leaving them on the landing out front.  If the kids don't take them, I know a couple of neighbors who walk their dogs who will!

We'll be out on the back deck enjoying the moon!

Esteemed Contributor

It's not selfish to protect yourself during a pandemic that has already claimed over 200,000 lives . I for one have watched people I care about get taken down by this monster.Some have died lonely miserable deaths.

I've also  had my life upended by the collateral damage that Covid caused.There are loved ones I haven't seen in months. There is absolutely no way after all the sacrifices I've made & the loses I've endured am I going to blow it just to hand out candy on one day.

Some may call it selfish .I call it common sense & being responsible.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have candy.  And I'll turn on the lights.  Lots of kids in my neighborhood.  The'll be out and about. 

I have a table out on the porch with a bowel of candy and a sign saying help yourself.  That's it

Honored Contributor

There are so many ways to make Halloween memorable for kids without going door to door.  

I am in an undated 55 plus community and haven't had a trick-or-treater show up since we moved in.  

Respected Contributor

I bought a 50 pce bag just in case I get some kids. I will wear a mask and drop in the kids bag. It’s on a Saturday so no doubt the doorbell would ring. It’s Sort of hard to ignore.
Esteemed Contributor

NO!
Super Contributor

Since I teach 12 preschoolers inside a classroom every day for work, I think it would be a little weird to suddenly be afraid to hand out candy! LOL! I will have a card table between me and the kids, and will wear a mask and hand out the candy using tongs. 

We normally have 100+ trick-or-treaters. My youngest child still goes trick-or-treating, and we plan to bring him around to the neighbors as usual, but he will wear a surgical mask with his costume. My older neighbors will likely not participate in Halloween, and that's okay! Some will probably just sit outside and wave to everyone from a distance, so we'll get to see them at least. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D  YES!! Our township is following suggestions from the CDC. They request we package our candy in individual bags and position them, separated, on a table or bench in the driveway. I've already bagged them:

Candy2.jpg

We are to sit at least 6 feet behind the table. I'm planning to decorate the table with an orange tablecloth, Fall colored twinkle lights and battery operated candles. We also have those flame-like solar, tiki torches from the back yard that I'm going to put along the driveway. I sure hope we get Halloweeners this year. I just love them! I'm thinking of providing sanitizing hand wipes if any parents want them. Oh, and I'm bringing my Duraflame candle heater outside to keep us warm!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Our grandkids who are young will be coming over and going on a candy hunt in our backyard..right before dark. Five of their friends moms will be putting candy out on their porches with names on them...then that’s all for the night. Then they will watch some movies at home? We won’t be opening the door to anyone this year. We have had about thirty homes sell in our neighborhood since last Halloween, many with small kids....am guessing they will not want to venture out since they don’t know many people in the area yet. It will be turning our clocks back, a blue moon, and Halloween. 2020 is the gift that keeps on giving.