Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

Absolutely not.  Lights will be off.  Parents should find safer ways for their children to celebrate Halloween this year.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

No.  We have decided to leave our light off and not open the door.  I don't like Halloween anyway.  It seems that fewer and fewer homes on my street were taking part even before the pandemic.  We get too many children who are not even from this neighborhood. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We stopped giving out candy about 7 years ago. I got tired of it after only a few (under 10) kids would show up. Then after my mom passed away (we would sit outside in the driveway and pass out candy) it just became a "why bother". It just became a way to feed my husbands coworkers because I would send the candy with him to work the next day. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, I will be giving out candy to trick or treaters.

I live in a large neighborhood and the last two years there was no Halloween because it rained hard both years. 

People are tired of being cooped up, and for those that want to participate, Halloween will be alive and well.

The weather is supposed to be perfect. 

Esteemed Contributor

I found nice little Hallmark Halloween bags at Stop & Shop which I'm going to fill with candy just for the 7 little kids on my block and will drop them off at their houses. Then Halloween night lights off & door shut. Normally I get about 80 to 90 kids, only God knows where they all come from. And some of them are teens.....which ticks me off.

Esteemed Contributor

No....but then I haven't participated in several years anyway.  Our city had a trunk or treat last weekend on the square but they're still allowing trick or treating on Saturday.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

No because it's a really stupid thing to do to have person-to-person contact and have people interacting all over the place from one house to the next. The situation in this country is dire. Until people wake up and follow the science (because it has been proven beyond any doubt), this country will never, ever recover.  You can count on that.  

My co-op has memo-ed strict rules that there are to be no trick or treaters in our buildings.  They will have a Halloween "parade" for the very young children on our grounds.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

Planned to skip giving out candy this year long before this Pandemic so this only cements that decision so its a NO from me.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D  I have not done anything with Halloween in years.  I have always given out juice boxes in the past, but we have very few children in our neighborhood and they do not seem to celebrate.  What I found was that we had cars from other areas driving through with their kids, and I just felt that this was dangerous on many levels.  So, I stopped giving the juice out.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

No.  In the 14 years I've lived here, I can count on one hand the number of kids that rang my bell.  Prior to this year, the village had something that most kids attended.  And if they didn't attend that, they had to trick or treat between the hours of 3 pm to 7 pm.  This year, activities are cancelled and door to door is not encouraged either.  

Some one suggested drive by trick or treating which makes no sense to me.  Who wants to run outside every few minutes.  Maybe I didn't read the fine print.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)