Respected Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

We did for years and no longer do.  I have done the trunk and treat at church with my grand daughter and also go to my daughter's house so they can take.kids out while I give out treats.

This year none of the above but going to my daughter's house for scary movies and.pizza.  Taking bags up for the kids.  Or they might come here and spend the night too. So low key but no door to door.

We won't have our light on so should not have any.  My husband always  has a stash anyway.

Decorated inside and pumpkins too.  Just changing it up.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

@rms1954 wrote:

Too bad that you make the children suffer.

Kids from well to do families aren't "suffering" if they can't trick or treat this year. Many parents haven't allowed them to for years anyway, due to other concerns.

There are millions of hungry children in this country, they are suffering every day. Millions of homeless children. Many children suffering with cancer and other serious illnesses. Children who have lost a parent or other relative to serious illness, including covid.

All of that is true suffering. I think you have lost all meaning of the word suffering.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Sadly, not this year.   Our neighborhood sent around signs that you could put on your door that says whether you ARE or ARE NOT partricipating.  I have that and made one too so that I could put one over my doorbell as well.  I've given candy out all 22 years that we've lived in this house but do not feel comfortable participating this year.  I gave the little boy next door 2 bags of candy about 3 weeks ago ...  gave it to Grandma who could portion out the treats!  

Honored Contributor

No,stopped that several years ago.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Yes, we got the town's email saying it's from 4 to 7. I'll set the candy container out on our bench with a label that says 'Take A Treat'. The one thing I might do differently is turn off the light and bring in the bowl at 6pm. Frankly, I expect very few kids but I bought 60 candy bars.

Trusted Contributor

I love horror, love Halloween and it's my daughter's birthday tomorrow so Halloween has always been special even if she wasn't quite born on Halloween.  I always called her my pumpkin but not my jack-o-lantern since she didn't quite make it to the 31st.  Through her cancer when she was little this was the most special of holidays for her.   If you are older and/or at risk than chances are you will not have your light on and you will not open your door.  I am ok with Halloween.   The candy is wrapped, the kids are wearing masks, it's a smaller time interacting with them than you spend at the store with hundreds of others. .  

If you are a person who hasn't left their house since this started then no one on this forum expects you will be participating.   You need to do what you feel comfortable doing.  I am comfortable handing out sealed bags of candy.  I have been with my grandchildren since the beginning and their friends.   For those getting mad, I do wear a mask for the safety of others.  I have no problem with however you want to deal with the holidays.   It comes down to if you are ok with it, then do it.  If you are not, then fine. It's no worse than going shopping, out to eat, to the doctors, hairdressers etc. There are those on these forums that have stated they will never feel safe again and have stated they will never leave their home again.  And there are those on these forums that have been working, interacting since this began and that is ok as well. 

So yes I will do Halloween, I will be home watching horror movies, my favorites, and enjoying the full moon on Saturday night!  No matter your choice for the night everyone have a safe and Happy Halloween!  If you aren't handing out candy, get a bag for yourself and treat yourself!  You can like it, hate it, or just not care about it, but let everyone handle it the way they want to.  There is so much negativity,hate and depression, let those that want to enjoy a small bit of joy do so.   Afterall "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!" 

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

@rms1954 No one is making children suffer. It could be said we are preventing children from catching a deadly disease which would really make them suffer. 

Or just being selfish because after all you have to worry about YOU.

Self preservation is a natural human response built into our psyche, hence the 'fight or flight' response.

IMO, parents should let them have a covid safe party with their closest friemds, wear costumes, play games, face painting and buy them all the candy you want that, you at least know is safe.

The dentists of America will appreciate it!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

My porch light will be on and if anyone comes here to trick or treat they will get a Snicker bar or a Milky Way!

We have never gotten too many trick or treaters as most of the children in my area are grown up now.  
🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I don't think it's a good idea this year.  

Honored Contributor

No we will not be doing trick or treat this year and from the looks of it - lack of decorations - none of our neighbors will be either.