Respected Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

[ Edited ]

I live in an apartment complex that does not participate  in trick-or-treating; I am grateful.

Valued Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

We are shutting off the lights. 

Honored Contributor

We don't normally get many kids, but I always give out candy and I ABSOLUTELY will this year too.  I'll don a mask and even wear gloves.  I only open the storm door enough to drop the candy in their buckets anyways.  

If you're not going to give out candy, you should turn off your porch lights so they know not to come to your door.

Honored Contributor

My town has canceled Trick or Treating.  So, no.   Some towns are still allowing it but the safety guidelines, if adhered to, will put a damper on it.  Social distancing, masks, hand sanitizer applied frequently. don't handle or eat any candy until you get home and everyone washes their hands.  My younger daughter and I were discussing it and they just aren't going this year.  They are having a small party instead.  Much of it was supposed to be outside but now they are saying it will be very cold on Halloween.  So, I assume the party will be inside.  Either way, the kids will have a great time.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

My community doesn't do door to door trick or treating; I heard today there's going to be some version of a drive by.

Same in my community.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My community is still permitting it.

I live on a cul de sac and every year for the last 26 years the neighbors on my street have gotten our lawn chairs, a table, candles, drinks & candy in the middle of the street.  We have given out candy that way rather than have the kids go to each house.  We get to socialize and it's a pleasant way to pass the time.

I got together with the same neighbors last month when we all went out to dinner (outdoors) and we agreed to continue with our tradition weather permitting.

Valued Contributor

No...I live in a 55+ community. Children are only allowed in if they live with someone 55 or older. I do feel for families in other areas with small children. I just don't feel the regular Trick or Treating is appropriate this year.

Super Contributor

For the last few years the number of Trick or Treaters has declined until last year we received none at all. Still, this year we have a small bag of candy which we will put in a bowl on the front porch (just in case). It is the very young children I dont want to disappoint.

Honored Contributor

No. The dogs hate it and try to get out. There is a church down the street where you can pull up and they give the children bags of candy in the car trunk.

Esteemed Contributor

Not a chance.

We will be home but we're not answering the door. People can be as stupid as they want to be outside my door, but that's as far as they're getting.

Too bad it's a Saturday and I hear the weather will be clear. The parents can be morons, creating moron children, but we want no part of it. We haven't been staying home since March to blow it giving out candy on a stupid holiday.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett