Honored Contributor

Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

[ Edited ]

Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door? This year I don't want to answer the door or offer candy. I love the kids but I just don't want to do this, this year due to the virus. I'm hoping things will work out if we don't answer our door and if we turn off our porch lights. Im also hoping that the parents in my neighborhood won't send their kids out this year. I'm also hoping my husband won't be his usual self and go to the grocery story to get huge bags of candy to give out anyway. Last year, he just left a huge bowl outside and let kids help themselves. He'd check the bowl and if it looked empty he'd refill it. Last year my bowl disappeared and some kids exchanged it with some black plastic tub they left on our porch. Luckily, we found my blue bowl on the side lawn of our property. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

No and I have no guilt about it. I am 71 years old and need to protect myself. Just my opinion but I would think a caring parent would provide a different type of Halloween this year to keep their children safe.

Respected Contributor

Re: Are you going to be giving out candy if trick or treaters show up at your door?

@Mindy D  I probably will since I bought a couple of the "monster size" bags of candy at Target last week.  

I have always given out candy (and lots of it), but the crowds were getting smaller and my dogs always try to get out each time I open the door so I didn't last year.  If the weather is nice, I may sit out on the porch for an hour or two and give ouit candy.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

My community doesn't do door to door trick or treating; I heard today there's going to be some version of a drive by.

Trusted Contributor

No we are not planning on giving out candy this year, they think getting goodies from different homes is not a good idea this year. Our town is offering treats in the main square for trick or treaters and our race way is planning an event plus we have several haunted house opitions. I always enjoyed seeing all the little ones and all the creative costumes but i think even for us opening the door to a lot of different people is just not a good idea. I am hoping famlies like ours will be creative so the kids can enjoy Halloween.

Honored Contributor

Nope

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Respected Contributor

We usually have quite a few trick or treaters here, but we won't be passing out candy this year.  Not sure how many kids will be trick or treating here.  Most of the parents that I personally know on my street are not taking their young kids out in the neighborhood.  Our local zoo is having a large trick or treating event which will adhere to guidelines so several parents here have said they are planning on taking their children there.

I did buy some candy this morning to make up several little bags and will drop those off to the neighbors I know that have children.  

We usually sit on our front porch and visit with the neighbors on Halloween night but we certainly won't be doing that this year.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@chessylady 

My answer is also NO, for the same reasons you give.  In today's world, with one crazy story after another, it is unthinkable to me that parents allow their kids outside to go door-to-door to homes where they DO NOT know the people inside.  Likewise, as a senior citizen, I don't feel safe opening my door to strangers, even kids.  Sadly, that's just how I feel about our society today.  I did not used to be this way; maybe I'm being too cautious, but again, we will NOT be turning on the light and giving out candy to trick-or-treaters. 

Honored Contributor

No, for the first time since I have been married.  I did buy some full size candy bars and will give them out early to the few children who live in my neighborhood.  There are only 4 of them this year.

We usually get a lot of kids at the door...usually up to 300 of them.  Last year we only got a little over 100 kids..I was surprised.

Esteemed Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

No and I have no guilt about it. I am 71 years old and need to protect myself. Just my opinion but I would think a caring parent would provide a different type of Halloween this year to keep their children safe.

@chessylady   ... I agree with you ..... I AM NOT going to give out any candy this year .... these kids will be fine if they give up trick & treating this year .... the parents should know better & think of other ways to amuse their kids during the pandemic......I do not intend to go anywhere near strange kids/parents during the pandemic..... I hope they all stay home!!!! .... I know this sounds mean but, better safe than sorry!!!!