Trusted Contributor

Just got my order delivered a little while ago.  Got many of the items ordered, but no meat and no frozen fruit or frozen vegetables.  Also, some types of bread (I wanted raisin bread and rye bread) were not delivered.  I've never ordered from instacart before, so is that pretty normal? I'm not criticizing---just wonder if this is normal for instacart orders.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Are you an instacart user?

[ Edited ]

I have been ordering through Instacart from Costco and a small local market the last couple of months.  I have gotten everything I have ordered except on the last order I did not get eggs.  Maybe you could try ordering from a different store.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Probably at this point. You'd run into the same thing if you went out shopping. They do their best but with inventory problems, incomplete orders are to be expected. 

Trusted Contributor

@wismiss I've used Instacart in the past and found their delivery of fresh produce spotty at best (many times had to return the fruit/veg for exchange).

When the COVID situation arose, I decided to do my own shopping once a week.  The only thing I couldn't manage were the gallons of spring water from Sprouts that I use each day. 

So, 2 weeks ago I ordered a month's worth of spring water (30 gallons) from Sprouts using Instacart.  Everything was delivered to my door and the delivery guy opened up the cartons and laid the gallons of water on a towel that I used to slide (too heavy to lift) to the place I keep all the water.   

This week I decided to reorder 30 gallons of water again as I'm sensing supplies of essentials are dwindling.  The latest 30 gallon delivery is tomorrow.  I'm wondering if I'm going to get the order or whether the shopper is going to call me in the AM (delivery scheduled at 11 AM) and tell me they're out of water.  I'm crossing my fingers that this doesn't happen; however, I'm prepared if it does because I still have 14 gallons of water left.

Esteemed Contributor

I just started using Instacart last week.I got 2 deliveries so far from a local market. The first delivery I got most of what I ordered with substitutions for some of the name brands. The second delivery I got about half of what I ordered.

Next weekend I'm expecting a delivery from Costco.

My observation so far has been that the quality of your delivery depends on how good your shopper is.The first shopper worked hard to find the products I wanted.She did her best to find adequate substitutes. The second shopper really wasn't that interested. He seemed a bit annoyed when I wouldn't approve some of his substitutes, which didn't come close to the item originally requested.Like instead of toilet paper he wanted to substitute facial tissues, & instead of corn muffins he wanted to substitute bagels!!

There is a local Supermarket that does direct delivery. They also have delivered groceries to me in the last few weeks.They are out of stuff too.But they do a much better job of picking quality produce & making spot on substitutions.

The problem is it's difficult to secure a delivery time.All these places are backed up for at least 2 weeks.This virus is overloading the system.So I order from several sources to have more of a chance of getting all that I want.

When this mess is over I'm going to go back to doing my own shopping.I like it better!!

Valued Contributor

@wismiss  I've now used Instacart 3 times. In my area the only grocery store they are affiliated with is Publix, but that's ok because I prefer that store. 

I think everyone's experiences will probably differ due to availability of products and depending on the shopper you are assigned. 

I have been extremely fortunate with the shoppers I have had. They are super responsive and communicate with me throughout their shopping. My first shopper is still my favorite though! Not only did we chat, she sent me pictures from the store and twice found me cheaper prices on a similar product (lol not to mention the powdered doughnuts that I hadn't asked for but were on special, and well the picture sold them). 

I've either received the original product I requested or a very acceptable substitute. If there is something that I absolutely do not want another brand/option I mark it that way on my list. 

I do not believe I will continue to be as fortunate as more product becomes affected by the supply chain, but I will continue to use Instacart. I have an autoimmune disease, as well as a couple of other factors and am high risk. I also live alone. Instacart prevents me from having to go into a store and I am grateful. 

(I'm also tipping them well)

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've used it only once.  Got everything I wanted except no eggs.  I have an app they told me to download.  They notify you as they pick and pack the food,, letting you know if items are not there or suggested substitutes.  Like Amazon  tons of people are now ordering from instacart.  I joined instacart express for the free delivery.  For me, I was happy I got Wegmans and Giant amog the stoes I could pick..  There are others stores including Aldi, but I love Wegmans.

Honored Contributor

Used it once for Aldi and all was there.  Have another order coming today and anxious to see what will or will not come.  Yes, as time goes on, delivery time gets longer and longer, which is understandable, so we have to order accordingly, and be ready for that.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@wismiss I've used Instacart in the past and found their delivery of fresh produce spotty at best (many times had to return the fruit/veg for exchange).

When the COVID situation arose, I decided to do my own shopping once a week.  The only thing I couldn't manage were the gallons of spring water from Sprouts that I use each day. 

So, 2 weeks ago I ordered a month's worth of spring water (30 gallons) from Sprouts using Instacart.  Everything was delivered to my door and the delivery guy opened up the cartons and laid the gallons of water on a towel that I used to slide (too heavy to lift) to the place I keep all the water.   

This week I decided to reorder 30 gallons of water again as I'm sensing supplies of essentials are dwindling.  The latest 30 gallon delivery is tomorrow.  I'm wondering if I'm going to get the order or whether the shopper is going to call me in the AM (delivery scheduled at 11 AM) and tell me they're out of water.  I'm crossing my fingers that this doesn't happen; however, I'm prepared if it does because I still have 14 gallons of water left.

brita filter?  any reason you need to order water

I don't like the taste of the water here, but just filter with the Brita filter. 

Honored Contributor

I never have, but my daughter does a lot

the selection of stores here isn't that great, I wanted to use it for Costco but it's not available in my town

and the weird thing is some of the other stores are 20-30 mins away, a store I would never go to when there are at least 6 groceries within 5 miles