Honored Contributor

Re: Are you ambidextrous? If not do you wish you were?

MJ12 wrote:

JaxsMom wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Shogirl2 wrote:

@novamc, I didn't realize I do this, but I hold my fork in my right, knife in my left when I'm cutting something, then I put the knife down and switch the fork over to my left hand to eat!  haha!  

That's actually standard lefthandedness.  Smiley Happy    

It's nice seeing so many other left-handed peeps here.  We used to be such a small minority, especially when parts of the country, at a certain time, was trying to change kids.

Fortunately, I avoided that - I don't know if it was that they didn't do it in CA (my husband also a CA native left-handed person just 3 years older than I).

I actually don't know anyone that does that. Cuts with the left and switches to the fork in the left hand. And I'm not the only left handed person in my family. 

@JaxsMom really!  I thought all lefties did it (because I do it) : )

ITA, MJ.  I've always seen people do it that way, and of course the inverse if they are right-handed.

The only exception would be if you continue to hold the knife as you eat.  When I lived in Europe I noticed that people continued having the knife in their dominant hand and their fork in the other and would use it that way.  

But when people put down the knife they will generally move the fork to the dominant hand.

But, hey, there are no rules about that!  Smiley Happy  It's just a natural thing to use your dominant hand to do the main tasks.  Smiley Happy

I iron and vacuum with both hands, switching back and forth.  I've always done that with that sort of task.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Shogirl wrote:

@novamc1, I didn't realize I do this, but I hold my fork in my right, knife in my left when I'm cutting something, then I put the knife down and switch the fork over to my left hand to eat!  haha!  

That's actually standard lefthandedness.  Smiley Happy    

It's nice seeing so many other left-handed peeps here.  We used to be such a small minority, especially when parts of the country, at a certain time, was trying to change kids.

Fortunately, I avoided that - I don't know if it was that they didn't do it in CA (my husband also a CA native left-handed person just 3 years older than I).

I actually don't know anyone that does that. Cuts with the left and switches to the fork in the left hand. And I'm not the only left handed person in my family. 

@jaxs mom really!  I thought all lefties did it (because I do it) : )

ITA, MJ.  I've always seen people do it that way, and of course the inverse if they are right-handed.

The only exception would be if you continue to hold the knife as you eat.  When I lived in Europe I noticed that people continued having the knife in their dominant hand and their fork in the other and would use it that way.  

But when people put down the knife they will generally move the fork to the dominant hand.

But, hey, there are no rules about that!  Smiley Happy  It's just a natural thing to use your dominant hand to do the main tasks.  Smiley Happy

I iron and vacuum with both hands, switching back and forth.  I've always done that with that sort of task.

So everyone you know switches between knife and fork in the same hand regardless if they are right or left handed? Maybe it's a regional thing then. Because none of the right handers I know do it either. Including my husband, siblings and kids. The right handers I know are fork right, knife left. That's the reason why I sit next to the other left handers in my family if any are with us at the meal. No bumping elbows. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I never thought ambidextrous meant you could do some things with your right hand and other things with your left. For instance you write with your right, but bat with your left.

I thought it meant you could do most things with either hand.  For instance you can write and bat with either your right and left hands.

No, I am not ambidextrous.  I've never thought about having that skill.

Honored Contributor

@muttmom wrote:

I never thought ambidextrous meant you could do some things with your right hand and other things with your left. For instance you write with your right, but bat with your left.

I thought it meant you could do most things with either hand.  For instance you can write and bat with either your right and left hands.

It does mean that, some of us are just mentioning the things we do right handed. I'm not claiming I'm ambidexterous. In fact I believe the reason I do some things right handed is because I'm cross dominant which is a different thing. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I was ambidextrous as a child but the nuns exerted some pressure to make me use only my right hand.  I still do certain things with my left. but use my right hand for cursive or signatures.

I have two handwritings, and I had a weird day the day I noticed some years ago that my signature is often different:  one looks like my father's angular signature and one like my mother's rounded one.

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

It does mean that, some of us are just mentioning the things we do right handed. I'm not claiming I'm ambidexterous. In fact I believe the reason I do some things right handed is because I'm cross dominant which is a different thing. 

There are some posts that use ambidextrous to describe my first statement.

Respected Contributor

DH is.  Although he has favorite for different tasks.

Esteemed Contributor

I consider myself left-handed; I am not ambidextrous, but rather somewhat cross dominant.  For instance, I golf and bat right-handed, play tennis left-handed.  I knit right-handed, but crochet left handed.