Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

No, I'm not picky at all.

I love watching the travel channel and all the different foods that they show.

I would love to travel with Andrew Zimmern.

I found a site on-line, where you could buy a small can of dehydrated bugs.

There are cultures in the world where they eat bugs (crickets, grasshoppers, silkworms, etc) and they are chock full of protein.

I bought a can, and freaked out a few of my co-workers by eating the dehydrated bugs.

They were okay.

I have also tried camel jerky (I thought that it was good), rocky mountain oyster jerky (it was too peppery for my liking).

Tonight I had pheasant for dinner.

Sitting in my freezer is quail and Cornish game hens.

No, I am not a picky eater.

Life is too short to always stick to a few boring foods.

Besides, how are you going to find your new favorite food, if you don't try new things?

I'll share the Cornish hens with you.  As for the bugs and other strange foods, no way.  I applaud you for being able to try new foods, me, no, can't do it.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor
Simply yes.
Honored Contributor

I'll try anything once but if I don't like it, it doesn't get a second chance.

There are certain things that I will not ever eat again or make at home.  My top 4 are beef stew, meatloaf, salmon and penne with vodka sauce.

My mother-in-law is famous for - "I make it good, you would like mine" - No I wouldn't.  If I didn't like it when my own mother made it, I doubt I would like yours.

The only reason I ate the stew or meatloaf when I was growing up was because that's all you were getting, she wasn't making something else.

Salmon, I can't get past the smell once it gets close to my mouth - one bite and I knew I would never eat it again.  there is something about the color of the vodka sauce that I don't like.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you a picky eater?

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

There are cultures in the world where they eat bugs (crickets, grasshoppers, silkworms, etc) and they are chock full of protein.

I bought a can, and freaked out a few of my co-workers by eating the dehydrated bugs.

They were okay.

I have also tried camel jerky (I thought that it was good), rocky mountain oyster jerky (it was too peppery for my liking).

Besides, how are you going to find your new favorite food, if you don't try new things?

@Plaid Pants2- life is too short to eat things that I either don't care for or have no interest in trying!  I admire your willingness to try foods that are different.  I have no desire to try bugs or camel jerky, but I'm impressed that you did!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

They were okay.

I love Andrew Zimmer too @Plaid Pants2 and I agree, he would be great to travel with. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Definitely picky!!  I won't eat anything with onions, mayonnaise, pickles, mustard, ketchup, relish, salad dressings, etc.  I am Italian and also am very fussy about Italian food - especially with spaghetti sauce.  Besides the ones I make there are only a few places I will eat it.  I absolutely hate to be invited to anyone's house to eat because I am so picky.  I can always find something to order in restaurants though.

@Pook  - were we separated at birth?  Most of your "can't haves" are my own.  Huge mistake - once a coworker invited me to her home for lunch and all the dishes were all mayo laden salads (macaroni, tuna, etc).  That was a hard one but my fault cuz I'd not mentioned it.  I figured she'd have some sort of small lunch meat selection or salad but none.

This is also why I now only meet at a restaurant cuz I can always get a salad and have them bring me oil/vinegar on the side.  The only place I absolutely cannot go to this day - Mexican restaurants bc when I was going thru chemo years ago, just the smell of that food, which I had previously loved made me sick and I had to run out of the restaurant.  I've spoken to others who have battled cancer still having the same issues for different foods as a result of having gotten chemo.  I'm thinking these days I may be able to enter and get a soft taco or other non spicy food but I don't want to chance it.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes. 

My husband and daughter can eat ANYTHING. They watch cooking shows together.

My son and I pretty much like the same foods. Certain food smells bother me & I have to light a candle.

Honored Contributor

I'm a pretty good cook and so I'm  a picky eater. It's hard for my husband and I to eat out because the restaurants don't prepare the food to suit us. There is one great bar and grill we go to though when we visit our son and we are always happy with the food there. Everything there is fresh,  food tastes home made and is cooked to perfection.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh  You just gave me a great idea for dinner for tomorrow.  A baked potato and a salad.  That sounds pretty satisfying.  Although, what doesn't go with a baked potato?

I am the exact opposite of you.  I eat everything (except calimari) and I also find simple things the best.

Honored Contributor

Yes!  Very picky.  When I was in knee rehab for 23 days I wouldn't eat the food (even though it was pretty good) it wasn't what I like to eat.

I lost a lot of weight.  My friends brought me things I like to eat.

I always say that if other's shopped for me I'd be skinny, but I buy junk stuff that I like.

I remember when I broke my back when I was 18 I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and wouldn't eat.  The person responsible for making up the menus came up and said, "What do you eat?"  I said, "Well, I like tomatoes and mashed potatoes".  The next meal was mashed potatoes and around them were slices of tomatoes.  Ha!