Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  I am like you.very choosy on what I will eat. It has to be healthy.  I do not eat out because of that.  My husband is very easy going....and not like me at all.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

The time has come for me to admit that I am. I’d like to think I’m pretty easy going when it comes to food, but in reality, I’m picky. I like very basic foods and really don’t like to venture out of my comfort zone. 

I belong to a Facebook page that’s specific to people in my area. They’re all the time raving about restaurants close by. When I go to the websites and look at the menus, the offerings are just things that I wouldn’t order. Elaborate hamburgers with things on them that I’d never eat, etc.  

We’re meeting family for lunch in a few weeks and they suggested a restaurant, well known in Atlanta, several locations, a little higher end, and I looked at the menu and thought “I’m in trouble here”. I’d end up ordering a blue cheese wedge salad and a baked potato.  There was literally nothing on their extensive menu that I’d be interested in. 

Part of it is because it’s foods I just don’t eat. Also it’s the calories. I can’t imagine the calorie count on some of the stuff. 

Anyway, I’m droning on. I’m a picky eater. Anyone else?

@gidgetgh

Re: Calories, did they have some kind of basic chicken or salmon? My go-to favorites.

I’m not picky, I live in foodie central and I am exposed to just about every known culture and their food. 

Yes, your town has some great food @Noel7. My husband worked there for a couple of months a few years ago. I went out there quite often to visit him. He would tell me I came just for the food and honestly that was part of the reason. He loved the House of Prime Rib. It truly does take you back in time and they do have great prime rib but I loved the Taddich Grill, Nopalita, Swan Oyster Depot and I really loved Incanto but I heard it has since closed. Seriously, I can't name all the delicious restaurants we ate at. They were all so great. Don't think I had a bad or even so so meal the entire time I was there.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  I'd say I am selective.  Family would tell you I'm a nightmare.  Been like this since I was a wee one and I don't see it changing :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not picky as I am adventurous but it most be good quality....I don't eat fast food

Respected Contributor

I am.

Esteemed Contributor

No, I'm not picky at all.

I love watching the travel channel and all the different foods that they show.

I would love to travel with Andrew Zimmern.

I found a site on-line, where you could buy a small can of dehydrated bugs.

There are cultures in the world where they eat bugs (crickets, grasshoppers, silkworms, etc) and they are chock full of protein.

I bought a can, and freaked out a few of my co-workers by eating the dehydrated bugs.

They were okay.

I have also tried camel jerky (I thought that it was good), rocky mountain oyster jerky (it was too peppery for my liking).

Tonight I had pheasant for dinner.

Sitting in my freezer is quail and Cornish game hens.

No, I am not a picky eater.

Life is too short to always stick to a few boring foods.

Besides, how are you going to find your new favorite food, if you don't try new things?

Respected Contributor

Not picky at all.  I'll try anything once.  I've had many pleasant surprises by experimenting.

I do have several foods I will never try again...that being liver and sweetbreads.  I don't care if you cover them with onions, spices, gravy, wine...not happening.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

Re: Are you a picky eater?

[ Edited ]

Yes, some by necessity, and some by personal choice. I am diabetic, so I have to be careful of carbs. My stomach has been playing up for months, so I have stopped eating a lot of things I like but, they are not good for my stomach ailments.

There are cuisines I can't stand, and won't eat the food. Life is short. and food is something that is meant to be enjoyed, so why eat stuff that makes you sick, or you just hate?

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Noel7 I eat a great deal of meat, particularly red meat (not wild about seafood). I also eat eggs, cheese, and some green vegetables (including salad) from time to time. I also eat different kinds of nuts. I eat a large steak about 4 or 5 times a week. You might be wondering... yes, my cholesterol is lower on this diet than on one with lots of fruits and vegetables. I’ve eaten this way for about four years and all of my biological markers are excellent and I stay slim eating this way. These happen to be the foods I love, too, which helps.

You’re a low carb eater.  I do this diet when I want to lose weight.  I feel fabulous when I eat low carb.  

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh

Yes, and have been since I changed how/when, and what I ate back in the mid 1970's.

hckynut

hckynut(john)