Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

I started to answer this by saying I was not a picky eater but as I typed I realized I am a picky if adventuresome eater.  I have only been to the Olive Garden twice for dinner but that was enough!  I will remember to try the soup if I get stuck there again!  Thanks for the tip.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 I eat a great deal of meat, particularly red meat (not wild about seafood). I also eat eggs, cheese, and some green vegetables (including salad) from time to time. I also eat different kinds of nuts. I eat a large steak about 4 or 5 times a week. You might be wondering... yes, my cholesterol is lower on this diet than on one with lots of fruits and vegetables. I’ve eaten this way for about four years and all of my biological markers are excellent and I stay slim eating this way. These happen to be the foods I love, too, which helps.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Noel7 I eat a great deal of meat, particularly red meat (not wild about seafood). I also eat eggs, cheese, and some green vegetables (including salad) from time to time. I also eat different kinds of nuts. I eat a large steak about 4 or 5 times a week. You might be wondering... yes, my cholesterol is lower on this diet than on one with lots of fruits and vegetables. I’ve eaten this way for about four years and all of my biological markers are excellent and I stay slim eating this way. These happen to be the foods I love, too, which helps.

Thanks for your response @Goldengate8361 😊

I am pretty good at figuring out healthy food that fits what I like, too.

Fiber is really important for me, it helps clean our arteries, literally.  You get some of that with your nuts and the veg you do eat.  

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

The time has come for me to admit that I am. I’d like to think I’m pretty easy going when it comes to food, but in reality, I’m picky. I like very basic foods and really don’t like to venture out of my comfort zone. 

I belong to a Facebook page that’s specific to people in my area. They’re all the time raving about restaurants close by. When I go to the websites and look at the menus, the offerings are just things that I wouldn’t order. Elaborate hamburgers with things on them that I’d never eat, etc.  

We’re meeting family for lunch in a few weeks and they suggested a restaurant, well known in Atlanta, several locations, a little higher end, and I looked at the menu and thought “I’m in trouble here”. I’d end up ordering a blue cheese wedge salad and a baked potato.  There was literally nothing on their extensive menu that I’d be interested in. 

Part of it is because it’s foods I just don’t eat. Also it’s the calories. I can’t imagine the calorie count on some of the stuff. 

Anyway, I’m droning on. I’m a picky eater. Anyone else?

@gidgetgh

Re: Calories, did they have some kind of basic chicken or salmon? My go-to favorites.

I’m not picky, I live in foodie central and I am exposed to just about every known culture and their food. 

@Noel7- I don’t eat fish or seafood (except fried clams of all things) so I wouldn’t order salmon. And all the dishes were just too formal, for lack of a better word, for me. Things like bison and other game. I’m just a plain eater. 

I’ve asked the family if we could pick something a little more mainstream. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

The time has come for me to admit that I am. I’d like to think I’m pretty easy going when it comes to food, but in reality, I’m picky. I like very basic foods and really don’t like to venture out of my comfort zone. 

I belong to a Facebook page that’s specific to people in my area. They’re all the time raving about restaurants close by. When I go to the websites and look at the menus, the offerings are just things that I wouldn’t order. Elaborate hamburgers with things on them that I’d never eat, etc.  

We’re meeting family for lunch in a few weeks and they suggested a restaurant, well known in Atlanta, several locations, a little higher end, and I looked at the menu and thought “I’m in trouble here”. I’d end up ordering a blue cheese wedge salad and a baked potato.  There was literally nothing on their extensive menu that I’d be interested in. 

Part of it is because it’s foods I just don’t eat. Also it’s the calories. I can’t imagine the calorie count on some of the stuff. 

Anyway, I’m droning on. I’m a picky eater. Anyone else?

@gidgetgh

Re: Calories, did they have some kind of basic chicken or salmon? My go-to favorites.

I’m not picky, I live in foodie central and I am exposed to just about every known culture and their food. 

@Noel7- I don’t eat fish or seafood (except fried clams of all things) so I wouldn’t order salmon. And all the dishes were just too formal, for lack of a better word, for me. Things like bison and other game. I’m just a plain eater. 

I’ve asked the family if we could pick something a little more mainstream. 

Hi @gidgetgh

I’m with you on the bison.  A bite to taste but not a full meal, I don’t eat a lot of meat.

Esteemed Contributor

No I am not. My parents were super adventurous eaters and we had to at least try one bite. They never forced us to eat food we didn't like but we did have to give it a try. They would also make us try that food every year because my dad said your taste buds mature so some of the stuff you might not have liked a year ago, you may like now.

We have been hanging out with a couple where both the man and the woman are super picky and I have to admit, it is super annoying because we can't go to any good restaurants because they won't try any different cuisines. All seafood is out, most things but chicken and steak. We like to go to a lot of different places and my 3 grandson is seriously a more adventurous eater than they are. As a matter of fact we have taken my grandson when we went out to eat with them twice and the one time he had crab legs and the other time he had mahi-mahi. They were astounded that I would get him crab legs because they thought it was too expensive for a 3 yr old and they can't believe he would eat fish or seafood. I said why wouldn't he if we give it to him? I said this is the time in his life when his diet is most important because his brain and other parts are developing. To me, this is exactly the time to spend money on what he eats. I cringe when I see kids eating off the kids menu and giving them chicken nuggets that are so processed and macaroni and cheese full of junk. Why would you give that to a kid?

I can understand that some people are picky eaters because their parents forced them to eat food and that is understandable. This isn't the case for them. They literally refuse to eat anything besides hamburgers, steak and chicken. Any type of spice, peppers, onions or anything like that they just will not eat. It is just totally weird when a 3 yr old has a bigger palette than someone in their 40s.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Nope.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Yes! I’m extraordinarily picky because I know how to eat in a healthy way. I don’t eat any sugar—in ANY form (including fruits, vegetables, and beans, etc). I’m very, very healthy as a result.

How do you eat healthy without eating any fruits or vegetables @Goldengate8361. I am a very healthy eater too and our bodies are supposed to have fats, carbs and proteins. Fruits and veggies are needed for their fiber. It isn't healthy to cut out stuff in such an extreme way unless you have an allergy or issue with it.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I am not an adventurous eater, if I don't like how something looks or smells, I'm not eating it. I would say I'm a picky eater. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Are you a picky eater?

[ Edited ]

@susan in California wrote:

My father was an incredibly adventurous eater.  I learned early to eat raw oysters and clams while sitting on his lap.

I love liverworst, pickled herring, and all sorts of other things.

My mother was not like this.

And my husband doesn't like anything his mother didn't cook.

Our grown sons are even more adventurous than I am.  They eat all sorts of foods, from many different cultures.

In a brief answer:  no I am not a picky eater. ( But I do eat too much.)

It sounds like we grew up in the same household. When I was young my mom would banish dad and me to the basement to eat sardines on saltine crackers. No one else in the house could stand them.

I try everything, so I  would say I am an adventurous eater. I particularly love all things seafood. Sashimi is my favorite meal. A new restaurant with an unusual menu makes me very happy.