Regular Contributor

Are you a member of Birchbox?

I am trying it out.......still uncertain if I will stay.  IPSY still uncertain about that also.  Which is your favorite?

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you a member of Birchbox?

@ILoveFragrance wrote:

I am trying it out.......still uncertain if I will stay.  IPSY still uncertain about that also.  Which is your favorite?

@ILoveFragrance I am not sure what that is. Is that a travel-related site that we can go to? If so, I would like to know more about it.

Honored Contributor

Gimmicks! No thanks. Need to try several items every month means clutter and waste. Realize that there is a market I'm just not into it.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I got a gift subscription for Christmas in 2016 and the sizes were really small and many months were dupes or very similar products

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

I do Birchbox and Sephora Play.  Sephora Play has been very good so far.

Trusted Contributor

@ILoveFragrance wrote:

I received a Birchbox gift subscription for Christmas three years ago from my daughter.  While I appreciated her efforts in trying to give me something different for a gift, I wish she hadn't wasted her money.  First, I just don't use a lot of beauty products as I have etremely sensitive skin.  I'm allergic to lanolin, mineral oil and fragrances so I'm very limited in what agrees with my tempermental skin.

Aside from that, the packaging was pretty but the sample sizes were very, very tiny.  Almost all of the samples had one or two drops of the product, the products were all brands I never heard of, and, the makeup colors were awful.  I only recall saving one little sample lipstick that's still sitting in a drawer.  IMHO, I don't think these monthly subscription things are worth the money.

Honored Contributor

I had Birchbox for about 4-5 months and then canceled it. I probably would have kept it except for one very major issue - although they assure you before you sign up that your box will be customized to you, that's just blah-blah; they don't customize it beyond minimally. You can say you want this and that and are not interested in the other and it makes no difference - you get what they have to send that month.

I said I had fine, thin, straight hair. Month after month I was send products for thick, naturally curly hair. I said skin care products, not make-up. I always got more make-up, and hair products for the opposite of my hair type, more than anything else. I never though the colors (lip color, shadow) were given to me according to my request.

If you love spray-in powder "shampoo", tiny mascara samples, and in general lots of stuff you won't use (or is one single use), it could be your thing; it wasn't mine. I didn't mind the price IF I had gotten things useful to me, but I didn't.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was gifted a Birchbox 6 mos subscription and much like others, found the samples very small, not many name brands that I was familiar with and not customized to the survey I initially filled out.

The only thing I liked was the box they came in!  Saved a couple of those.  Did not renew.

Valued Contributor

I've been getting Birchbox for a couple of years.  I agree with @Moonchilde overall. They do not seem to customize as they claim.  I cannot tell you how many dry shampoos I have gotten.  I give them all away.  I have gotten a few stand out products. I would never have tried Micellar water without getting a sample from BB.  I love it!  BB boxes are beautiful. 

I've  gotten Sephora Play for two months now and everything has been excellent and it seems like it is meant for me.  

Regular Contributor

BirchBox is offering the 125 year Vogue box for $68 and it is their rose collection.  I am not getting that but it looks pretty saying it is worth $224.