Honored Contributor

Re: Are you a good judge of character?

(thread title)

Most of the time, but badly misread 1 for sure, and it cost me dearly.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

It is the best character trait I have been blessed with.

Honored Contributor

I used to think so but I've been seeing some really creepy and disgusting things posted on social media that leads me to believe otherwise.

Respected Contributor

I think the con artists have the best personality and are experts at reading and manipulating people.  The few ruin it for the many.  I guess the reason I spent so much time talking to the man and trying to help is because I would have loved someone to advise me when I was moving to a new location.  I guess I want to treat people the way I would want to be treated but that won't happen again. 

Honored Contributor

Coincidentally, after almost six years, the "Best Friend" since childhood (mentioned in this thread in a prior post) has just requested that I be her "friend" on Facebook.  I never expected that, as she was the one who told me never to contact her again, which I have not done.

I haven't accepted yet, but am considering it.  What would you do?  We are both 80.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

(thread title)

Most of the time, but badly misread 1 for sure, and it cost me dearly.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

It usually does.  People don't change.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Coincidentally, after almost six years, the "Best Friend" since childhood (mentioned in this thread in a prior post) has just requested that I be her "friend" on Facebook.  I never expected that, as she was the one who told me never to contact her again, which I have not done.

I haven't accepted yet, but am considering it.  What would you do?  We are both 80.

@LilacTree...I let by-gones be by-gones and try and not stay angry with someone. In the end it keeps me a happier person. If you were friends with someone for many years, something must have drawn you together. 

Good luck with your decision...

Honored Contributor

I had to fend for myself at a very early age. My husband calls me intuitive so through trial and error, I have learned to trust my gut. I have never been wrong.

Respected Contributor

@chiclet ... I think I'm a very good judge of character. I've been told many times by different people that they are so surprised by how I figure people out so quickly. I think it's a gift. Some people can draw or have some other talent...other people are very perceptive. Still, I'm very careful...guess I don't totally trust my instincts.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Free2be wrote:

When younger I was clueless and naive.  Now I can sense someone with a personality disorder within seconds thanks to the many years of working at a mental health center and the time that psychologists, psychiatrists and therapists took to bring me along so I was an informed assistant to them.  Those with personality disorders come in many flavors and I tend to be attracted to those that are engaging, funny, and for the short term, entertaining.  I wish I'd known much earlier in life about the "I'll suck the life out of you" or the "What have you done for me lately?" type.  Too many people have to learn from experience.  It seems like it ought to be part of a fundamental education.

@Free2be . I sort of know what you mean. 

I have a "friend" that I've known for at least 10 years.  I'm not close friends with her but she is usually very friendly when I see her which is usually 2-4 xs a month.  We have had lots of long conversations and have gone out to lunch together.  She's warm, engaging, funny & entertaining.

She told me about a gym class that she goes to and convinced me to sign up.  It's a great class.  However other than saying hello, she completely ignores me.  She's busy with some other friends in the class.  Now I don't expect her to have long conversations with me and of course I'm fine with her hanging out with these other women but it's weird and hurtful at how I'm ignored.  It would be nice for her to say something to me other than hello and then turning away from me. 

I feel like I'm not part of the "cool girls" but this is ridiculous and I'm too old for this.  Is it a personality disorder on her part?...or am I making too much out of this?  Yet when I see her at other times I really don't feel like having these warm & engaging conversations with her anymore.  

So am I a good judge of character?  Probably not but it depends on the person & circumstances.