Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you a good judge of character?

@Imaoldhippie  Didn't take it as a pity party. It was simply a sad read. I'm so pleased to read your second post! You found the secret in the correct order, too. Wishing you much happiness, laughter and love in your life! Blessings and more hugs.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Yes, very good.  

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@chiclet

I am normally suspcious, but since this guy was older and he called so regularly maybe something happened to him health wise---maybe he had a stroke or a heart attack, or maybe he has mental issues and it's a fantasy about him buying a home and hes also lonely, and maybe a caregiver found out what he was doing and told him to stop calling people because he wasnt buying a house....I would reach out to him and ask...are you OK?....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

I can honestly say I am clueless.  I trust no one anymore.  When I occasionally let my guard down and think "What a nice person" I usually am dissappointed.  This man called about my home for sale and we talked.  He was older and very nice.  I told him about a house for sale down the street since mine had just sold.  He called me many times and the people down the street with questions about the area etc. since he lived many hours away.  I enjoyed talking to him and thought he was such a nice man.  He made an appt to see home and then did not show up or cancel appt.  The owner called him and he will not return call.   He must have called me 7 or 8 times and her probably as much wasting our time.  I had no reason to talk to him but just wanted to help him in his relocation process.   I can understand if he decided the neighborhood or area was not for him but no cancellation or thanking us for our time spend on the phone trying to help him.  What is wrong with people....

There could be a very good explanation why you have not heard from him.  Why automatically put him down when he may actually need your prayers.

I agree.  I understand the OP's point, but I'm not sure this was a good example.  There are many possible reasons why he hasn't called back.  This may have nothing at all to do with his character.

Respected Contributor

When younger I was clueless and naive.  Now I can sense someone with a personality disorder within seconds thanks to the many years of working at a mental health center and the time that psychologists, psychiatrists and therapists took to bring me along so I was an informed assistant to them.  Those with personality disorders come in many flavors and I tend to be attracted to those that are engaging, funny, and for the short term, entertaining.  I wish I'd known much earlier in life about the "I'll suck the life out of you" or the "What have you done for me lately?" type.  Too many people have to learn from experience.  It seems like it ought to be part of a fundamental education.

Honored Contributor

Ah no, not at first glance or even after many years. You never really know what some people are really thinking or feeling.I have been taken for a ride so to speak many times, even by my family and I prefer to keep things to myself and most people at arms length. I think that's why I like the forum so much, I don't have to invest anything of myself if I don't want to.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a good judge of character, and always have been.  Some of this I'm sure comes from my work experience, but it goes back to when I was young, so it's more than that.  I just get a gut feeling when I first meet someone, and I've very, very rarely been wrong. 

Of course that doesn't mean I blindly trust everyone, and certainly I lock my doors and my car, don't open the door to strangers (I haven't done that since I was 6!), use common sense, and cut conversations short when need be.  Most people I've met are good at heart and well-intentioned, and I tend to trust unless I have a reason not to.  I don't live my life in fear, and I don't assume that all strangers are up to no good. I know that I have very good instincts, but I don't rely on that totally, and it's served me well.

Respected Contributor

Up until a few years ago I would have said yes.  However, since that time I have learned that two people I really thought well of did something horrible, both went to jail over it so I know there was something to the charges.  I even get upset thinking about it now.  One was a favorite teacher from high school, the other a family friend.  I would never have imagined that either of these people would have done those things, so it makes me question how much we can truly know about someone else.  

Respected Contributor

I believe I am for the most part but I have learned over my life time to always be watching out where ever I go!  

My husband was getting his haircut the other day and the lady stylist told him she lived in a area she feels is safe so the other day she picked up a man walking down the road.  A very BIG sweaty man.  It was in the 90's here the last few days...so she pulled over and picked him up.  He turned out to be a Amish man who was hiding that he was attending a local college to be a doctor (not sure what kind) and was walking back and forth to college most days.  He even gave her $40 for the ride LOL!

Now would I have done that? NO...NO WAY....it's a shame when you think of it....if some people out there weren't such evil monsters I would have gladly gave someone a ride along my way.  I just can't take a risk like she did.  

Heck I remember back in church yrs ago my Pastor bragging how his son picked up a homeless man and such and such and encouraged us all to do the same.  I thought back then NO WAY....I was about 20yrs old then but still in my 50's NO WAY!

I don't let people in my home....or answer the door unless my sons/husband are there if it's a stranger.  I need a peep hole or that ring thing LOL!  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I am.  

Even as a child I'd get 'bad feelings' about some people.  

Don't know what it is, but I'm grateful for it because it has served me well.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras