Respected Contributor

Are you a good judge of character?

I can honestly say I am clueless.  I trust no one anymore.  When I occasionally let my guard down and think "What a nice person" I usually am dissappointed.  This man called about my home for sale and we talked.  He was older and very nice.  I told him about a house for sale down the street since mine had just sold.  He called me many times and the people down the street with questions about the area etc. since he lived many hours away.  I enjoyed talking to him and thought he was such a nice man.  He made an appt to see home and then did not show up or cancel appt.  The owner called him and he will not return call.   He must have called me 7 or 8 times and her probably as much wasting our time.  I had no reason to talk to him but just wanted to help him in his relocation process.   I can understand if he decided the neighborhood or area was not for him but no cancellation or thanking us for our time spend on the phone trying to help him.  What is wrong with people....

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you a good judge of character?

Sometimes I am, but , there are con artists that can fool anyone

Honored Contributor

Let’s just say I’m cautious and it also depends on where I am and the topic of conversation. 

If I’m home I talk through the glass door. If interested in what your selling I’ll call you.

If you need access to my backyard, you’d better have proper ID and a truck.

If you need to use my phone, you couldn’t find one to use on the way to our house? You passed 15 houses on the way to my cul de sac.

If you’re selling your religious beliefs, I’m saved and going to heaven when I die.

Unfortunately this is world we live in today. I am cautious.

Respected Contributor

I have a very good sense, it is one of my few talents.

Just recently friends of ours had a terrible experience with a person that they were working with on a major business venture and the other guy turned out to be a cheat and a liar.  As soon as they told us the story my DH remarked how I did not like the guy the moment I met him 3 years ago.  Just the sight of him made my skin crawl and I never trusted him.  (Although he was always very kind to me.)

I have hired hundreds of people over the years and this skill has served me well.

But I am still wary about strangers in my home and near me in parking garages, etc.

Honored Contributor

Since I’m one of only a few people home during the day in our neighborhood, I’m extra cautious. I don’t open the door to anyone when home alone.

I also no longer take appts. from clients to come to my home jewelry studio unless I know them or recommended by a friend. 

We also added a panic button to our alarm system which is linked to the police station. 

Unfortunately, the world around us has changed. We lock our cars if left in the driveway, don’t leave any pkgs. in plain sight while shopping & I no longer go in areas at night where I’d have to walk in a dark parking lot to my car. 

Yes, it stinks. Staying safe is always on my mind.

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I can honestly say I am clueless.  I trust no one anymore.  When I occasionally let my guard down and think "What a nice person" I usually am dissappointed.  This man called about my home for sale and we talked.  He was older and very nice.  I told him about a house for sale down the street since mine had just sold.  He called me many times and the people down the street with questions about the area etc. since he lived many hours away.  I enjoyed talking to him and thought he was such a nice man.  He made an appt to see home and then did not show up or cancel appt.  The owner called him and he will not return call.   He must have called me 7 or 8 times and her probably as much wasting our time.  I had no reason to talk to him but just wanted to help him in his relocation process.   I can understand if he decided the neighborhood or area was not for him but no cancellation or thanking us for our time spend on the phone trying to help him.  What is wrong with people....

There could be a very good explanation why you have not heard from him.  Why automatically put him down when he may actually need your prayers.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

Yes, I have a good inner sense about trusting people.    

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I am.However, these days I trust no one.If you come to my door unless I know you you will not get in.If you call me & I don’t recognize your number I will not answer the phone.

The other day I was at the mailbox & a young man approached me.He asked if he could see my home because he was interested in buying a townhouse in my development.I refered him to the management company & left.I thought about how 20 years ago I would gladly have showed him around.Times have changed & so have I.It’s unfortunate,but it is what it is.

Respected Contributor

In my case, I wouldn't call it a good judge of character as much as my sense of perception.  Due to life experiences I've always been cynical/skeptical about ppl, their stories, etc.  And in my case there are not many things I'm good at but when it comes to figuring out ppl or situations, my first impression is rarely ever wrong.

Recent example - my brother's daughter got engaged 2 years ago and this was the year they were to be married.  From the moment I met him I out and out didn't like him.  I'd hear things I considered "red flags" and told my sister.  Her fiance was verbally abusive and more than once I was waiting for him to hit her.  Everyone else always said this was just "him kidding" or "that's just the relationship they have".  They moved 2 hours away and within 5 months she packed up and left - bc though he never hit her, his verbal abuse got worse and worse.  My sister recently said - "wow, you sure had him pegged".  

Honored Contributor

I did not used to be because I took everyone at face value and trusted everyone.  Through years and years of being hurt, taken advantage of, lied to, stolen from, left high and dry,etc, etc.  I have finally learned my lesson.  I trust NO ONE and take my time before I decided to like or not, and I do not get close to anyone anymore.  I now have acquaintances and very, very few friends.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)