Trusted Contributor

Re: Are you a good gift wrapper?

NO!😳🌲

Actually, I suppose I'm OK, if it's a nice simple box , but, even so, I can come up with some funky corners!

Its not something I really enjoy. Make me another vote for gift bags!

Respected Contributor

i here you there. im more sloppy and not at all neat. one year i put my wifes gifts in there boxes and had her wrap them. she did and said i cant believe im wrapping my own gifts.

Honored Contributor

I'm terrible. My mother has a real talent for it, I used to always tell her she should start a gift wrapping business. But sadly it's not genetic.

One of the first extravagant gifts I bought for her was a Kitchen Aid mixer. I almost hurt myself, and the mixer, trying to lug it down the escalator at the mall where some women ran a charity wrap table every year. When I finally made it the line was so long that I gave up and I had to wrap it myself. It looked awful.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

No. I totally suck at gift wrapping. My first job in HS was in the holiday gift wrap dept. After watching me struggle for awhile, they just had me give out the boxes, tissue paper and ribbon for the self-wraps.

I mostly use the decorated bags of all sizes and sometimes decorated boxes. Lots of pretty Xmas tissue paper wrapped around things. Pretty decorative holders for gift cards.

But regular wrapping paper cut and folded neatly on a package with strategic, well-placed tape and sharp corners and straight lines, followed by a fancy bow - no, never. My brain just has no patience for the task.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I love wrapping gifts!  When I was a kid, I wrapped gifts for everyone in my family, for all occasions.  One year in high school, I had my dream job.  I worked the gift wrap station for a big department store during the holidays.  I loved it. 

Esteemed Contributor

No, I stink at it...I am so glad for those gift bags they sell on the Q...

Honored Contributor

Love wrapping, but not the mess of keeping an assortment of appropriate papers, bags and ribbon. Several years ago I changed over to tan Kraft paper on a lg. roll. I use raffia to wrap all gifts for all holidays or birthdays. The creativity comes in when I choose the center decoration. House gift? Add wooden spoons or a set of measuring spoons, b'day for kids? Add candy in a see thru bag tied into the raffia. Holidays? greenery w/ pine cones or candy canes & for Hanukkah, I tie on bags of golden chocolate "gelt" (coins). Whenever the craft stores have sales or coupons, I look around for items to attach to these gifts. For tags, I use colored card stock cut w/ scissors of various edges & colored markers. They all fit nicely in a shoebox w/ the raffia and scissors. Now I have my extra coat closet back.

Trusted Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Yes; I love to make packages look beautiful.  It's much more fun to open the beauties!

I only use gift bags for really large, oddly shaped items.  It's much more exciting to unwrap a gift than to pull one out of a bag.

@faeriemoonI agree 100% people love to open packages, well, at least my family.

I worked at my friend's gift shop many years ago and we had to even make all the bows.

I also, love curling ribbon. Fun and easy.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm horrid at wrapping gifts.  Someone mentioned being lefthanded?  I'm lefthanded so I'll use that as a reason. Smiley Happy  These days they have such beautiful bags and even boxes with beautiful pictures on them--add pretty bow,done.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

I used to be fairly good at it but it's too hard on my back anymore so I do very little wrapping now  and use mostly gift bags.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown