Honored Contributor

Are you a 'full-on' adult? or "adult-ISH" ;-)

[ Edited ]

adult-ish is my answer   ;-)

Are YOU officially an adult? Checklist of 40 achievements reveals whether you qualify as a 'REAL' grown up, from washing your own sheets to filing your taxes on time

• A new study has found of millennials believe completing mundane household tasks and having financial independence qualifies someone as an adult
  • Having a steady job and saving for retirement are also considered to be indications of 'adulting' according to those surveyed
  • However, although millennials are careful about spending, 58% don't have enough money for a medical emergency and over 30% don't pay their own rent

Congratulations - you're officially an adult!

A new study of 2,000 millennials (born during the years 1981 through 1996, according to Pew Research Center) found that certain tasks are only performed by fully mature adults and that completing mundane tasks are actually a milestone when it comes to maturity.  

According to millennials, the number one sign of 'adulting' is having a steady job (78 per cent), but as many as half say just doing their own laundry makes them feel like an adult.

Dealing with conflict better also proved to be a big sign of being an adult, as one in four millennials say confronting someone in person instead of blasting them on social media is now considered 'adulting.'

The survey, conducted by Mattress Firm, found that filing your own taxes was a big sign of maturity also, but curiously, women find it to be substantially more adult, with 66 per cent of females saying financial responsibility is a sign of 'adulting' compared to just 45 per cent of men.

Many millennials feel bogged down by their circumstances however, as more than half (52 per cent) believe the current economic climate makes it impossible for people to grow up and 'adult' faster than they'd like, and 15 per cent of millennials still do not actually consider themselves to be a true adult.

However, almost half of those surveyed displayed a conservative attitude when it came to spending, and from buying a mattress to leasing a car, the average millennial will do 4.6 hours of research before buying. 

They also believe a 'big purchase' falls somewhere between the $500-$2,500 range, and they won't make it haphazardly, consulting four or more people for their opinion on a purchase.

'Doing research before making a big purchase can make all the difference,' said Kathryn Siegling, Mattress Firm's Vice President of Advertising. 

'There are several resources available such as online reviews, blogs and even guides on the best time to buy that can help save you money on a larger purchase. 

'If you find yourself overwhelmed with too many options, recommendations from friends and family are the best resources to help you narrow down your choices.'

According to the survey, 63 per cent of millennials' overall spending goes toward necessities, proving that they're more financially responsible than people might think. 

In fact, nearly half (41 per cent) of millennials are currently saving for retirement.

Not only that, but more than 35 per cent of millennials pay off their entire credit card bill each month, and 69 per cent will actually turn down social events with friends for financial reasons.

The majority (65 per cent) are also more likely to buy something they have immediate interest in a few months later if they can get it at a discounted price.

But that doesn't mean they're flowing with riches either, as nearly six in ten (58 per cent) don't even have enough money for a major medical emergency, and only three in four (76 per cent) are paying their own rent or mortgage.

'Whether we like it or not, adulting can be expensive,' Siegling said. 

'But big purchases don't have to cost a fortune and can be a smart investment in the long run. Waiting for the right time to buy or saving extra cash can make those larger expenses easier to take on. Once you're ready to buy, finding the best value for a "big purchase" can help stretch your budget further.'

The 40 things that make you an adult - according to millennials:

1. Having a steady job

2. Being financially independent

3. Paying a bill on your own

4. Paying rent/mortgage on your own

5. Paying for your car on your own (gas, repairs, monthly payment, etc.)

6. Budgeting for monthly expenses

7. Filing taxes

8. Cooking your own meals

9. Moving out of the family home

10. Being on time for work

11. Paying off a credit card bill or student loan debt

12. Understanding/monitoring your credit score or credit report

13. Having a car

14. Doing your own laundry

15. Doing the dishes regularly

16. Booking your own appointments

17. Investing in a 401K

18. Spending money on or doing a necessary chore instead of indulging in a leisure activity (e.g. getting your car’s oil changed instead of buying a new video game)

19. Showering/bathing regularly

20. Changing your sheets/towels regularly  

21. Frequently going grocery shopping

22. Having children

23. Doing your own home repair

24. Stopping after only a few drinks

25. Reading/watching the news

26. Confronting somebody you’re in conflict with in person instead of blasting them on social media

27. Moving in with a significant other

28. Getting excited about a mundane purchase (new washing machine, frying pan, etc.)

29. Owning stock

30. Having a significant other

31. Calling your parents regularly

32. Going to bed before 11 p.m.

33. Having a view on politics

34. Washing your face before bed (or having a ‘skincare routine’)

35. Choosing clothing based on comfort more than style

36. Preferring a night in to a night out

37. Living in a place other than your hometown

38. Drinking wine

39. Throwing dinner parties

40. Matching home decor

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you a full-on adult - or "adult-ISH" ??

I am, and fit most of that criteria. My decor doesn't always match though. And I don't work, but hubby does.

The business of living in a place other than your hometown, I don't know about that. I know lots of people who never left. Myself included.

Honored Contributor

I don't have children, suck at home repairs, and don't drink.  Guess I'm a 'kid-at-heart'.

Respected Contributor

I don't know where they got these millenials. The ones I know at my university, whom I work with and the one I'm married to are nothing like this list describes. They do more every day than most other people.

Furthermore, there is the concept of Opportunity Cost. This the cost you incur when you choose to do something and in turn can't do something else. That includes time, cost etc. Everyone does this. I can't cook all the time because I'd rather spend that time writing or grading papers or working on my research. I post in these forums as a way to distract myself from all the pressure I'm under as a graduate student so that is time well spent if it keeps me sane.

These studies just serve to further stigmatize young people today who face far more pressures than people before them due to the advent of social media,  technology, partisanship etc. Anyone that can navigate this present landscape successfully is an adult to me.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

I think this silly or silly-ish! Guess Im just a grown kid.Smiley Very Happy

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

It looks to me as if "making good choices" sums up what it means to be an adult.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess droning on and on makes you an adult. Making a list for the sake of adding quantity instead of substance = more impressive? 

Bathing reagularly, really? What does that mean? I would daily bathing of a child. Even my cat bathes herself daily and more than once may I add.

Honored Contributor

I guess not-ISH.

Honored Contributor

Re: Are you a 'full-on' adult? or "adult-ISH" ;-)

That was long.  It would have been simpler if OP just said "I hate Millenials because they are young".  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you a 'full-on' adult? or "adult-ISH" ;-)

To be honest I am both since I retired! 😂😂😂😂😂😂