Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,115
Registered: ‎06-16-2015

Re: Are you Smart Enough to take the S.A.T.?

[ Edited ]

As an English teacher, I have a problem with this paragraph due to the fact that the topic sentence introducing the paragraph indicates it's going in one direction, while the heading and the body of the paragraph move in another direction. Yes, the bulk of the paragraph is about natural lighting, but that is NOT what the introductory sentence indicates. I would make my students rewrite the topic sentence to fit the main idea of the paragraph. There is NO adequate connection established here between temperature control and light control. THIS is an actual SAT question???

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,384
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

Re: Are you Smart Enough to take the S.A.T.?

@lolakimono

 

I may be smart enough to take it, but I've lived too long to pass it.  Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy  

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,010
Registered: ‎03-10-2013

Re: Are you Smart Enough to take the S.A.T.?

Spoiler
 

I’m glad I passed the SAT, graduated, had a successful career, and retired. I tend to overthink things.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,527
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Are you Smart Enough to take the S.A.T.?


@RainCityWoman wrote:

As an English teacher, I have a problem with this paragraph due to the fact that the topic sentence introducing the paragraph indicates it's going in one direction, while the heading and the body of the paragraph move in another direction. Yes, the bulk of the paragraph is about natural lighting, but that is NOT what the introductory sentence indicates. I would make my students rewrite the topic sentence to fit the main idea of the paragraph. There is NO adequate connection established here between temperature control and light control. THIS is an actual SAT question???


Your assessment is correct, but isn't that the whole point of the question? Part 2 of the introductory sentence should be changed to "B" to accurately reflect the title and the body of the paragraph. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 54,282
Registered: ‎03-29-2012

Re: Are you Smart Enough to take the S.A.T.?

Here is a new practice question.  Answer to be revealed later.

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,123
Registered: ‎07-05-2012

Re: Are you Smart Enough to take the S.A.T.?


@lolakimono wrote:

Here is a new practice question.  Answer to be revealed later.

 


These are a lot easier than taking the actual test, since they're presented one at a time, with no time limit for answering Woman Wink The answer to this one is C.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,906
Registered: ‎10-05-2010

Re: Are you Smart Enough to take the S.A.T.?

Well, these two questions have been easy.  Just don't ask a question with a picture of a cube.  That's my downfall lol

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,925
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Are you Smart Enough to take the S.A.T.?

I'm with @WenGirl42. It's c. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,889
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Are you Smart Enough to take the S.A.T.?

[ Edited ]

@jonbon wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

As an English teacher, I have a problem with this paragraph due to the fact that the topic sentence introducing the paragraph indicates it's going in one direction, while the heading and the body of the paragraph move in another direction. Yes, the bulk of the paragraph is about natural lighting, but that is NOT what the introductory sentence indicates. I would make my students rewrite the topic sentence to fit the main idea of the paragraph. There is NO adequate connection established here between temperature control and light control. THIS is an actual SAT question???


Your assessment is correct, but isn't that the whole point of the question? Part 2 of the introductory sentence should be changed to "B" to accurately reflect the title and the body of the paragraph. 


 

Exactly.  I haven't seen this question before, but I've taught SAT prep and that certainly seems like the clear answer to me.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,485
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Are you Smart Enough to take the S.A.T.?

Anwer to the graph question - C