Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are you Smart Enough to take the S.A.T.?

[ Edited ]

As an English teacher, I have a problem with this paragraph due to the fact that the topic sentence introducing the paragraph indicates it's going in one direction, while the heading and the body of the paragraph move in another direction. Yes, the bulk of the paragraph is about natural lighting, but that is NOT what the introductory sentence indicates. I would make my students rewrite the topic sentence to fit the main idea of the paragraph. There is NO adequate connection established here between temperature control and light control. THIS is an actual SAT question???

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono

I may be smart enough to take it, but I've lived too long to pass it.  Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy  

Honored Contributor

Spoiler

I’m glad I passed the SAT, graduated, had a successful career, and retired. I tend to overthink things.

Respected Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

As an English teacher, I have a problem with this paragraph due to the fact that the topic sentence introducing the paragraph indicates it's going in one direction, while the heading and the body of the paragraph move in another direction. Yes, the bulk of the paragraph is about natural lighting, but that is NOT what the introductory sentence indicates. I would make my students rewrite the topic sentence to fit the main idea of the paragraph. There is NO adequate connection established here between temperature control and light control. THIS is an actual SAT question???

Your assessment is correct, but isn't that the whole point of the question? Part 2 of the introductory sentence should be changed to "B" to accurately reflect the title and the body of the paragraph. 

Honored Contributor

Here is a new practice question.  Answer to be revealed later.

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

Here is a new practice question.  Answer to be revealed later.

These are a lot easier than taking the actual test, since they're presented one at a time, with no time limit for answering Woman Wink The answer to this one is C.

Respected Contributor

Well, these two questions have been easy.  Just don't ask a question with a picture of a cube.  That's my downfall lol

Esteemed Contributor

I'm with @WenGirl42. It's c. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jonbon wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Your assessment is correct, but isn't that the whole point of the question? Part 2 of the introductory sentence should be changed to "B" to accurately reflect the title and the body of the paragraph. 

Exactly.  I haven't seen this question before, but I've taught SAT prep and that certainly seems like the clear answer to me.

Trusted Contributor

Anwer to the graph question - C