Honored Contributor

Re: Are you Smart Enough to take the S.A.T.?

My guess was D, but I would expect only an average score on the SAT.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono wrote:

Here is a practice question.

The answer will be revealed later.

Feel free to answer and explain why you picked that answer.

I think "A" is the best answer. The statement is that students are healthier and more productive when they work in an environment in which temperatures are closely controlled. Many older buildings were not designed with these studies in mind which results in spaces that depend primarily on artificial light. Employers don't want the expenses of making structural changes to increase the amount of natural light. It is probably a lot cheaper to use artficial lighting than to rebuild the interior to provide more natural light.

Edited to say "provide" more light.

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

D. 

@lolakimono wrote:

Here is a practice question.

The answer will be revealed later.

Feel free to answer and explain why you picked that answer.

D. in which they feel comfortable asking managers for special accommodations. 

D gives employees the opportunity to verbalize (and be understood) if they are uncomfortable in their environment. Talking with a manager may help with the situation if suggestions are financially possible. Perhaps a natural lamp would help an employee feel more comfortable in such a situation.

ETA: Many females have asked for space heaters (and received them). An uncomfortable work place is not acceptable. Every employee should be able to speak with management about their needs.

Some office chairs were unsatisfactory for some people in one company. When I heard about the problems, new (heavy duty) chairs were immediately purchased. 

We also had cubicles installed in the women's lounges at a Fortune 500 Co.  Many of us needed a convenient place to store our make-up, brushes, extra panty hose,  toothpaste, toothbrushes, tampons, etc. The company made attractive oak drawers! We were so pleased to not have to take a purse along.  

My choice is D) also.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The correct answer is b, because the paragraph is about lighting. This is an English question, not a sociology question. Doesn't matter which of the answers might be true in terms of workplace comfort, only which answer fits in this paragraph

ETA I thought this was so easy, but give me a math problem and I'm lost!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

None are correct unless you live in a perfect world, or expect a perfect work area.  You live with the enviroment you agreed to when you excepted the job.  Then, over time you get things to change.  Oh, wait ... that's old school.  Forgive me for being not smart enough.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

"Are you Smart Enough to take the S.A.T.? "

I may be smart enough to take it, but I don't think I am smart enough to pass it.

Honored Contributor

Yes!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I will put the answer in a spoiler, for those who would still like to guess.

Spoiler

The answer is B. The ways in which exposure to natural light affects employees is the main subject of the passage. #SATPractice

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono  Dang. My learning curve has crested and fallen by the wayside! Thanks for a good "test". Congrats to the majority who passed! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@lolakimono, that was my instant choice but since it was SO OBVIOUS I thought it could be a trick question!