Trusted Contributor

Are you Looking for Elastic for Masks?

[ Edited ]

JoAnne Fabrics has it, but their stores are closed.  So, you have to go to their web site and order it for curbside pickup.  If your closest store doesn't have it, you can change stores and see if another store in the area has it in stock.

Also, my cousin told me today that if you have ribbed elastic and it is too wide, you can cut it to make it narrower and it won't ravel.  But, it has to be the ribbed type.

I just picked up some fabric today.  I had to look online and the two closest stores didn't have what I wanted, but I found a store about 40 minutes away that had the fabric I wanted.   I looked on line, ordered it for curbside pick up.  They called me when it was ready and I had three days window to pick it up or it would be put back in stock.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Are you Looking for Elastic for Masks?

HobbyLobby has re-opened in our area.  The hours are 10-7.

It states they were deemed "essential" since they sell fabrics & notions.  I have not been to store so I don't know if they are stocked with elastic since store had been closed.

People also stated they were using Goody elastic bands used for pony tails.  not sure how this works yet many ladies have been using it.

Personally prefer elastic style vs tie.  I'm on "waitlist" for this style from our club.

Honored Contributor

our michaels stores and our joann fabric stores opened back up about a week ago. not sure how they were able to do that (maybe because they sell mask making supplies?)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Wal Mart also sells elastic in their crafts and sewing section.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

JoAnne near me never closed and is still open.

Hobby Lobby is open now too.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wismiss 

I highly recommend t-shirt yarn. It's great! Plenty of online videos showing you how to make it from old t-shirts. So soft! I even bought a couple t-shirts at the Dollar Tree that matched my fabric. 

82CFF9AC-1345-4F32-BAAE-3CA26DE0BA92.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@Tribesters 

I'm a sewer and never heart of T-shirt yarn.

Watching a video now.

Your masks are very nice!

Honored Contributor

I read that the inside of bungee cords are filled with individual elastic bands.  

I don't know if it's true or not, I'm not recommending it because I am not going to cut one open to find out.

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

I'd never heard of it until about a week ago. I can't believe how much it stretches & just rolls in perfectly. Who knew?? Just make sure your t-shirts don't have side seams. And the instructions to make it into a ball of yarn are the best- that way you can cut to any length. I've also used the section between neck & arms for smaller strips. You just have to cut off the arms & under the neck. 

i was using this for ties but today I saw someone cutting it small cnough for loops. I'm going to try that next. I think it'll have more stretch & be more comfortable than elastic. Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sister has been ordering the elastic on Amazon. 

I've been selling them for her at the office for $3 and they've been going fast.