Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Are you Looking for Elastic for Masks?

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I read that the inside of bungee cords are filled with individual elastic bands.  

I don't know if it's true or not, I'm not recommending it because I am not going to cut one open to find out.

Wow people are so innovative.  I just "googled" what is inside of a bungee cord and sure enough most of them have elastic inside.  Guess it depends upon the thickness of the bungee cord how wide the elastic is.

Respected Contributor

Going to try making ties from t-shirts.  Elastic not available anywhere here.  I have been cutting shoe laces and they have enough give but not always perfect fit.  

Esteemed Contributor

I bought 20 yds of elastic cord from Ebay. I made some masks today using sunflower material and cupcake material for the kids.

Trusted Contributor

The best masks I have are all cotton.  The same fabric as the front is used to go around the ears.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Esteemed Contributor

I discovered that the quarter inch elastic hair bands work beautifully for face masks. One hair band is 14" long, so cut in half it's 7" and perfect for two ear loops for one mask. 

You can generally find these in bundles of 10 and 20 per package and in all sorts of colors, even white. 

Honored Contributor

@LIG1 wrote:

I discovered that the quarter inch elastic hair bands work beautifully for face masks. One hair band is 14" long, so cut in half it's 7" and perfect for two ear loops for one mask. 

You can generally find these in bundles of 10 and 20 per package and in all sorts of colors, even white. 

I know Dollar Tree has (?) or did have them.  They came in 12 packs.