Honored Contributor

Re: Are women (some) losing their common sense? What do you think?

[ Edited ]

@varmintslayer wrote:

I've noticed a trend lately that has me wondering if some women are losing their common sense. I see quite a lot of young(er) women complaining about the cold temperatures....while wearing sleeveless tops!! I'm dating myself - but women used to have the common sense to dress appropriately for the climate. Many QVC hosts talk about how cold it is in the studio and rub their arms to warm them up - wearing a sleeveless top. I saw a car commercial last night that shows a woman standing in snow...yep, wearing a sleeveless top. I'm guessing there are some clothing designers out there laughing all the way to the bank, thinking "some women will wear anything we tell them is 'in style'"

In the scope of things, it's not a big deal, but I'm just curious - does this seem odd to anyone else -  or just me?

@varmintslayer 

I'm not sure how much common sense plays into this, but I've noticed that the past couple/few generations were never really taught how to dress, period.   

Too many people now dress to "express themselves" with absolutely no thought given to what is appropriate for the occasion.  Boggles the mind. 

However, if you're talking just about women on TV, I think the weather women are the worst ... everyone is wearing a cocktail dress!    JMO

Honored Contributor

I have sure thought the same thing ,so many times, winter cold and wearing sleeveless attire, just nuts.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If the ladies are attractive, smart, articulate, funny, and happy I really don't care how they dress. From what I've seen they dress very nicely.

On some cable stations the ladies are unattractive, dumb, dowdy, and angry.  The way they dress reflects it. Their ratings are proof.

Esteemed Contributor

Are long sleeves and high necklines acceptable for summer?  

What is acceptable for the transitional seasons of spring and fall where the temperature and weather can go from cold to hot in a matter of hours?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@Marp  For me, it's just about the "skimpiness" of their dresses in general (and I'm ONLY referring to women on news shows...mostly national news). Even when they do wear sleeves, the dresses are often so tight and short you can see what they had for breakfast!

Some of the posters mentioned "hot lights" as a reason for sleeveless...well, the male co-anchors and weather people are usually in full suits with ties, so the "hot" just doesn't fly. 

Honored Contributor

I wouldn’t ordinarily notice it but I am watching Poppy Harlow on CNN right now and she is wearing a high neck dark blue sweater with long sleeves.  And she is a pretty young woman.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Hilarious that is just that “one” channel. It is all over, I know I check them all out to see what they are reporting.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Hilarious that is just that “one” channel. It is all over, I know I check them all out to see what they are reporting.

@Nancy Drew  You are right...I see it on several network and cable news shows/channels. It's everywhere! Even one of our local female weather reporters wears very tight dresses...though I will say, hers are somewhat longer than what I see on the national shows.

Honored Contributor

I'm just reading through this entire thread now and laughing to see a few posters trying to make this some kind of political thing, I could easily jump right on that, but I won't, this isn't a political board. Go elsewhere to vent your dislike of either side of the never ending debate, believe me, I do. I'll just say, my local channels dress appropriately for the season, the national news, on all channels, have some who do and some who do not dress for the season.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Are women losing their common sense?

After reading this thread I have to say that too many are.

And it has absolutely no relation to what they're wearing.  It's what's going on above the neckline that concerns me.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~