New Contributor

Are women (some) losing their common sense? What do you think?

I've noticed a trend lately that has me wondering if some women are losing their common sense. I see quite a lot of young(er) women complaining about the cold temperatures....while wearing sleeveless tops!! I'm dating myself - but women used to have the common sense to dress appropriately for the climate. Many QVC hosts talk about how cold it is in the studio and rub their arms to warm them up - wearing a sleeveless top. I saw a car commercial last night that shows a woman standing in snow...yep, wearing a sleeveless top. I'm guessing there are some clothing designers out there laughing all the way to the bank, thinking "some women will wear anything we tell them is 'in style'"

In the scope of things, it's not a big deal, but I'm just curious - does this seem odd to anyone else -  or just me?

Respected Contributor

Re: Are women (some) losing their common sense? What do you think?

I agree that it is quite silly.  But I think that QVC hosts, people on TV commercials, TV news, etc. do not have a much of a choice.  I believe that they are instructed about how to dress / what to wear.

Respected Contributor

It’s not you. They want to show off toned arms ala 

Michele Obama.

Super Contributor

Honestly, I prefer wearing short sleeves.  I will put on a jacket if I am cold but I like the freedom of not messing with sleeves.  It may be because my arms are a bit shorter than average (along with the rest of me) and sleeves are often too long for me.

Honored Contributor

I don't think I'd ever draw any conclusions about the common sense of anyone working in an atmosphere like a TV position or as a model based on what they're wearing.   Not without know what they're asked to wear or maybe even told to wear.

I'd want to see these women when they're off camera where their common sense is easier to see.  Or not!

Honored Contributor

Turn on any cable news show and you will see snow outside behind the news desk and the women on the show in sleeveless dresses....has never made sense to me....
Honored Contributor

I don't think TV news anchors, reporters or meteorologists are told what to wear.  They look totally riduculous wearing sleeveless attire in the middle of winter.  As @IMW said, they just want to show off their arms.  I don't think Hoda Kotbe  owns a dress with sleeves.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Won't mention names but understand one major news channel (cable) tell female anchors to........show skin.....show skin.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't think TV news anchors, reporters or meteorologists are told what to wear.  They look totally riduculous wearing sleeveless attire in the middle of winter.  As @IMW said, they just want to show off their arms.  I don't think Hoda Kotbe  owns a dress with sleeves.

Well, I've noticed the some of our local news people showing off more than arms. It looks like they are going to a club. And yes, I do wonder if they drive to work like that or if they have more clothes in the car or something, in case they have car trouble. Poor things would probably freeze to death.

Honored Contributor

On my local TV channel on the evening news, the two co-hosts most always wear sleeveless......no matter how cold the weather is.  It just looks so odd to me.