Respected Contributor

Re: Are women (some) losing their common sense? What do you think?

Same reason why the women on 'The Five' news show lean way back in their chairs causing their already short dresses to go up even higher .... RATINGS.
Esteemed Contributor

I’ve noticed more men wearing shorts when it’s really coid. 

My Granddaughters hate bulky coats, wear hoodies and sandals all winter. (But when inside watching TV will be bundles up in a throw).

Respected Contributor

There is one female anchor in the Baltimore area, Denise Koch, who doesn't wear many sleeveless dresses or tight mini dresses. The majority of the time she wears suits, or dresses with sleeves. She's an older woman though and has been at the station for over 30 years. Most of the anchors and reporters these days are in their twenties and early thirties so the sleeveless sheaths are standard for them no matter what time of year it is. I've heard it's hot under the lights so that's why they wear them, or if they have to be there all day, maybe it's more comfortable for them to go sleeveless. You even see it on soap operas. It's the middle of winter and the actresses are wearing sleeveless tops and dresses. That's all on the stylist though and it's probably that way at the Q too. 

Respected Contributor

Lemmings!🐟🐟🐟🐟Michelle O. started this trend.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@seaBreeze ...yes, I have noticed that --as well as the 'b**b$, but I think that Dana always dresses appropriately, much more conservative.

Not sure why the powers that be, at any station, think that showing more skin is a ratings booster....maybe it is.....does not do a thing for me, but wonder why the women don't ban together, if they are being forced to dress that way, and just say no.

edited to fix typo

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Won't mention names but understand one major news channel (cable) tell female anchors to........show skin.....show skin.

YES!  and that's the one i stopped watching (and this was years ago) because it always felt like the ladies were dressed for a cocktail party and not a news broadcast.  

Honored Contributor

don't they also have hot lights beating down on them?  I don't care for sleevelessness in the dead of winter either, even if it's just here.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't think TV news anchors, reporters or meteorologists are told what to wear.  They look totally riduculous wearing sleeveless attire in the middle of winter.  As @IMW said, they just want to show off their arms.  I don't think Hoda Kotbe  owns a dress with sleeves.

@Kachina624  - I agree about Hoda.  It was 24 degrees here this morning in NYC and there was Hoda wearing a sleeveless dress!

Honored Contributor

I'm in New England and all of the women on our local channels wear appropriate outfits, no matter what the season.  Long- sleeved dresses in the winter, no low-cut necklines, often a blazer.  Suits me just fine.

I don't watch the news and weather to see the women dressed in skimpy outfits.  They're professionals and there to do a job, just as the men are.  

What always cracks me up are the Hallmark movies, set in the winter.  The women are always walking through deep snow in heels and short skirts or dresses.  Or they're running out the door without a winter coat on.  Really!?  Have they never heard of hypothermia and frostbite?  Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

@varmintslayer wrote:

I've noticed a trend lately that has me wondering if some women are losing their common sense. I see quite a lot of young(er) women complaining about the cold temperatures....while wearing sleeveless tops!! I'm dating myself - but women used to have the common sense to dress appropriately for the climate. Many QVC hosts talk about how cold it is in the studio and rub their arms to warm them up - wearing a sleeveless top. I saw a car commercial last night that shows a woman standing in snow...yep, wearing a sleeveless top. I'm guessing there are some clothing designers out there laughing all the way to the bank, thinking "some women will wear anything we tell them is 'in style'"

In the scope of things, it's not a big deal, but I'm just curious - does this seem odd to anyone else -  or just me?

I think it is nuts to wear sleeveless in the Winter and also to wear boots or shoes with the peep toes in the Winter.  Of course I live in CO.