Trusted Contributor

Re: Are women responsible if their husbands

[ Edited ]

How would you know if your husband was harassing women unless he did it in front of you and in that case, it's clear,  he has NO respect for you - so why on earth would you still be with hm ?   

Honored Contributor

I believe a person is responsible for themselves.  That said I do find it hard to believe that someone who's been in a relationship would not have an idea what their husband's are up to or like.

The guy would have to be a real Jekyll and Hyde to be able to keep that major flaw in his personality secret from his partner.

I try to not judge other's by saying they should divorce the person. I do know (or believe) most people would divorce the jerk because this personality flaw (whatever you want to label it) would definitely become part of the marriage or relationship.  It would be impossible, I would think, for it not to be obvious.

My guess in the situation I mentioned above, for a woman not to end (not always married) the relationship it might be a case of the woman being emotionally abused/bullied....

There are women who stay married for financial reasons or they've been bullied so much they don't value their own worth.  It's sad but it probably does happen.  

The laws are terribly one-sided in the male's favor when it comes to stay-at-home women getting divorced.  Of this I know and have heard stories.  So, with that in mind, I'd like to say most women would divorce their husband (responsible for him....no) not want to live with the partner, I'd hope so, but it is wrong to judge all women based on what any one of us would do.

I've seen so much in my family and other's each relationship is different.

Honored Contributor

@Maudlynn wrote:

@software wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

are harassers?  Asking because I noticed a comment that women who "let" their husbands harass are now speaking out.

My opinion, no woman is responsible for the deeds of another- even if that person is their spouse.

Responsible, maybe not, accountable YES

If you see child abuse, you report it.

If you saw a woman being harrassed or abused in public, you would step in or at least report it.

I don't want to live in a world where people look the other way.

I don't think most men are going to sexually harass a woman while their wife is standing there. I also don't think most women would report their husband to the police if they heard rumor their husband was harassing.  I think a woman's natural reaction would be to say "not my husband".

Women know.

They don't have to see it with their eyes to know.

Respected Contributor

SAY WHAT??????  Of course not.

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

are harassers?  Asking because I noticed a comment that women who "let" their husbands harass are now speaking out.

My opinion, no woman is responsible for the deeds of another- even if that person is their spouse.

Responsible, maybe not, accountable YES

If you see child abuse, you report it.

If you saw a woman being harrassed or abused in public, you would step in or at least report it.

I don't want to live in a world where people look the other way.

@software  Accountable?  You mean they could/should be held to account?  Like...charged? punished?  How do you mean "accountable"?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

to me wives are responsible about the husband behavior when it crosses the line.

some wives won't say anything because the husband may rule with an iron fist and know what can happen if she opens up about she may have witnessed.

wives should be able to tell the husbands if she feels the husband has said or did something to offend another woman or man.

Honored Contributor

If your spouse (male or female) is doing something vile to whomever and you stand by and say/do nothing, then you are responsible because you chose to not say "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?! NO!!" and then take appropriate action.

I know more people who have stood by their spouse and/or looked the other way that I truly believe it is the norm and not the exception. 

Don't get met started.

Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

to me wives are responsible about the husband behavior when it crosses the line.

some wives won't say anything because the husband may rule with an iron fist and know what can happen if she opens up about she may have witnessed.

wives should be able to tell the husbands if she feels the husband has said or did something to offend another woman or man.

How so? 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

There are charmers in this world who are masters at cheating, lying, stealing and even resort to killing and usually the first reactions from observers is that they didn't have a clue! It does happen, each and every day and some of these criminals have innocent spouses who were fooled also! THEY DIDN'T KNOW!

Honored Contributor

Is it the wife's fault if she's married to a bully, if he consistently belittles his staff and she stands by and says nothing? Is it her fault if another woman complains that he harrasees her and she does nothing?