Honored Contributor

Re: Are women responsible if their husbands

Not divorcing is a different matter, a personal decision for them to make and live with. Not anyone else. The original question had no mention of witnessing the behavior, or maybe it did and I missed that...I'm tired. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Regular Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Wives are not at all responsible for their husbands, not, never ever

@I am still oxox  Unless the laws have change, and they may have, hopefully, wives are responsible for all debt if the husband leaves not paying.

Only if the wife has obligated herself on her husband's debt by signing as co-borrower or co-signer.  Otherwise, if a husband walked away on credit card debt, only in his name, the wife would not be responsible (unless of course, a judge orders it).

Honored Contributor

Oh, that makes no sense whatsoever.  Even if a woman knows her husband does things like that, she's not his boss and she doesn't controll his behavior.  No husband or wife can "let" or "allow" a spouse to do anything.  I also thing the definition of "harrassment" stretched to the point where it's becoming laughable.  I read somewhere that a woman felt "harrassed" because some guy told her that he liked her dress.  That's it....he just said something like  "that's a nice" dress.  

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Wives are not at all responsible for their husbands, not, never ever

@I am still oxox  Unless the laws have change, and they may have, hopefully, wives are responsible for all debt if the husband leaves not paying.

@mousiegirl  I'm going back 15 years but if the debt is solely in his name like a credit card, they are not responsible.  My mother sent the death certificate to Visa when her husband died unexpectedly and they wrote off the entire balance.  

Helpful hint if you are going to off a bad husband anytime soon for bad behavior.  Get your name off the debt first!  Smiley TongueSmiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Of course not.

That is a totally different question, though, than whether or not they do something about it.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess if you see it you might feel some responsibility.   But if he is someone who does something like this she might also in danger.  I don't think the solution is the same for all.  We don't know the circumstances. And often she might not know what is going on. 

Law enforcement loves to tell the public to report what they witness.  Not sure one size fits all however. 

Regular Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Oh, that makes no sense whatsoever.  Even if a woman knows her husband does things like that, she's not his boss and she doesn't controll his behavior.  No husband or wife can "let" or "allow" a spouse to do anything.  I also thing the definition of "harrassment" stretched to the point where it's becoming laughable.  I read somewhere that a woman felt "harrassed" because some guy told her that he liked her dress.  That's it....he just said something like  "that's a nice" dress.  

ITA with the bulk of your post, but RE: "that's a nice dress".  I have had men say "that's a nice dress" or "you look nice today" and I took it as a compliment.  However, one co-worker said "that's a nice dress" as his eyes took a trip up and down my body.  I did not take that as a compliment and it certainly wasn't meant as one.  It's all in the context and the intent.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Women aren’t responsible for their husband’s behavior. 

I have seen many women who know what their husbands are doing and ignore it for  whatever reason.   That is just as bad...

It think it depends on the circumstances.  I don't believe in double standards.  I won't say that it's perfectly ok for women who feel vicitmizied to stay quiet and say nothing for years and treat the abuser like a friend and even praise that person publicly but the wife who is not directly involved should do what? Leave him?  Wives are not attached to their lecherous husbands and the husbands do not go home and give their wives daily reports so no wife ever "knows" what's going.  They suspect, some strongly suspect.  But they never know who, what or where.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is such a thing as integrity and self-respect. A woman who stays with a husband who she knows harrasses or abuses other women is lacking in both. If help is sought by the husband to deal with his behavior, then he should be given a second chance.

Respected Contributor

no. But if I were speaking out about others, he'd be the first on the list.