Honored Contributor

Re: Are women responsible if their husbands

[ Edited ]

A person is responsible only for their own actions.  As in BEHAVIOR.

Honored Contributor

@software

I agree with much of what you said about "accountable". That word has a much different meaning to me than the word "responsible". Probably several definitions for each of these words, but for my definitions they are not the same.  

To me nobody is "responsible" for the acts of another, that however does not mean to me that anyone should not speak up to authorities if and when they know or see someone breaking a legal, or even some moral laws.

Just my opinion and definitions I choose to use for these 2 words.  

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

very general question.

however, we all know others who harbor the sins of their loved ones.

you could debate all day the responsibility of one who knows something negative and what they should or should not do with the information.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor

Hope this doesn't cross any line, but------ isn't there a VERY famous couple where the husband............... ?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JaneMarple

I understand what you are saying.  I think these accusations need to be proven. There are evil women out there whom have been jilted and who I am sure would like nothing more than to get even. It's pretty clear to me, however, that some of these men are repeated offenders who just keep going.

Isolated incidents should be looked upon a bit more cautiously, imo.

One of the people who has been accused is quite old and if you talk to anyone who has worked in a hospital or, better yet, a nursing home,  they will tell you that men especially, can take on some disturbing traits and say things that they never would have thought to say or do as a younger man.  Their aging brains go off on tangents sometimes. If it did happen more than once and these "new people in the news" were also known for this at other times in their lives.... and it is proven.... then all's I can say is what goes around comes around and rightfully so! 

Respected Contributor

While I don't think anyone is responsible for anyone else's behavior, I think if you are aware your husband is harassing someone, you have an obligation to speak up. Abusive behavior crosses a major line in morality/character and a wife needs to address it, so that he stops, makes amends, gets professional help, etc. If he doesn't, then the wife has to give him an ultimatum.

For me, if my husband harassed/assaulted someone, it would be a deal breaker.

Respected Contributor

Wives can certainly make themselves catalysts for change if they feel able but for an outsider to insist it is their obligation while not knowing the very personal details is unreal.

I'm weary of the ways used to give bad actors any excuse to act out.  I'm weary of women being blamed for bad male behavior.

Impulse control cannot be forced.

Trusted Contributor

As phrased by the original question, no.
Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Wives are not at all responsible for their husbands, not, never ever

@I am still oxox  Unless the laws have change, and they may have, hopefully, wives are responsible for all debt if the husband leaves not paying.

HUH?   Not u;less they are legally obligated to pay because they signed a contract such as a rental agreement, credit card agreement, bank loan etc.  You cannot force someone to pay a debt they,did not incurr

Trusted Contributor

I would recommend visiting the local police department and ask to speak with someone who specializes with stalking to discuss the steps you need to take, under the circumstances of your case.
Do the math.