Honored Contributor

Re: Are weddings and receptions canceled?

@RetRN wrote:

I'm not really concerned about the cancellation of a wedding or a reception, but I am concerned about wakes and funerals. A wedding can be rescheduled or people can just have a very small celebration. I'm not a fan of destination weddings and never attend them, honeymoons can also be rescheduled.

wakes and funerals and memorials can also be rescheduled.

someone can be buried immediately OR if you wanted to preserve the body at the funeral home for a while, that can be done also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

my daughter wedding was planned for this saturday. it was finally canceled yesterday by the hotel due to governor hogans (maryland) executive order. she also canceled her honeymoon trip to st maarten, dutch side. we had to make a lot of phone calls, send a lot of texts, and make a facebook announcement.

we were due to have family and friends from all over the usa, canada, and the uk.

she has been so stressed out the past few weeks. i feel so sorry for her. there had been a lot of planning over the past year or so.

we are now having a small, intimate gathering on saturday at home so that they can be married. we are having it catered by a couple of our favorite local restaurants. i ordered a small wedding cake this afternoon.

she will now be having an anniversary party next march. it is already booked by her wedding planner at the hotel. there were not a lot of dates to choose from, but she happened to have one in march 2021. we will celebrate their first year together.

You are a wonderful Mom.
“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

thank you @mom2four0418 !

that is very sweet of you to say. Smiley Happy

we dont like to see our children unhappy, do we.......

she is loved.....that is for sure! Heart

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

my daughter wedding was planned for this saturday. it was finally canceled yesterday by the hotel due to governor hogans (maryland) executive order. she also canceled her honeymoon trip to st maarten, dutch side. we had to make a lot of phone calls, send a lot of texts, and make a facebook announcement.

we were due to have family and friends from all over the usa, canada, and the uk.

she has been so stressed out the past few weeks. i feel so sorry for her. there had been a lot of planning over the past year or so.

we are now having a small, intimate gathering on saturday at home so that they can be married. we are having it catered by a couple of our favorite local restaurants. i ordered a small wedding cake this afternoon.

she will now be having an anniversary party next march. it is already booked by her wedding planner at the hotel. there were not a lot of dates to choose from, but she happened to have one in march 2021. we will celebrate their first year together.

What a wonderful and sensible solution you came up with.  The most important element of a wedding is the ceremony and the committment they are making to each other.  I'm sure it will be lovely. A year together party sounds great and will be a lot of fun.  I wish your daughter and her husband much happiness.  

Regular Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't imagine how disappointed she must be. My daughter is getting married in September. I just keep praying everything will be ok by then.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45  I am so sorry to hear this and feel badly for your daughter. I can imagine the stress. I am worried about my nieces wedding later this summer as you never know. At least you found a way to get through this as I know the planning takes a long time. Again, am sorry.

Respected Contributor

My cousins son and fiancé announced yesterday they were postponing till the end of August.  Having a small court house wedding now and a party in a year makes a lot of sense to me.  Who knows where we will be in August.  Get married now and be happy i say.   But when you plan a big wedding i guess it is hard to give up on it.  

Honored Contributor

Speaking for myself, I'd still have my wedding with the officiant and my parents present. Then I'd work with the venue to reschedule my reception, and wear the dress I had purchased.

Funerals are a bigger concern to me because in my area, they still have visitations (yes, we show the person) followed by funerals the next day, with a church luncheon afterwards. Many people I know have even pre-planned their funerals (songs, flowers, menu), and if I were a family member, it would be hard to disregard their wishes.  However, under these circumstances, I'd get them to the final resting place they stipulated and have a memorial service later.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe this is a wakeup call for all the bridezillas out there who make their weddings into Broadway extravaganzas. They might begin to realize that the size or location of the wedding isn't important; what matters is the marriage itself. tThings can change in the blink of an eye and force us all to reexamine our priorities.