Respected Contributor

Re: Are we losing the word "are"?

@Annabellethecat66

big heart.png

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

No, not noticed, don't feel the need to criticize people.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Newgate wrote:

True!  Our English language is being abused by a lot of us!

But I would not go so far as to say those that do are ignorant of the correct form of our language!  Sometimes we are more interested in getting our message across than being criticqued on the words we use!!  

I believe if most of us were tested we would pass the test!!Woman Wink

@Newgate

Not only are people more interested in getting their message across but, as another poster mentioned, of "fitting in" with their peers and not sounding pretentious (shame that there is that fear, simply because one chooses to speak correctly). I have a co-worker who constantly says things like, "he don't care" or "she ain't got". (Of course, I would never correct her.) I would never speak that way, no matter how long I'm around her.

@Texasmouse

Now here's a real dilemma ......  

If you hear someone repeatedly make cringe-worthy comments, wouldn't you be doing them a favor to gently take them aside and explain their grammar mistake,  giving them an opportunity to improve their speaking skills .... or is it always "rude" to help someone.    

Reminds me of the old "you've got spinach in your teeth" notification ...  is it always wrong?

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

No, not noticed, don't feel the need to criticize people.

But, in essence, isn't that what you just did?  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Oh, I've noticed and thought I was the only one it bothered. Another is the use of her when it should be she. She and I went shopping. 

All anyone needs to do is say it without, and I, to know it is wrong. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Newgate wrote:

But I would not go so far as to say those that do are ignorant of the correct form of our language!  Sometimes we are more interested in getting our message across than being criticqued on the words we use!!  

@Newgate

Not only are people more interested in getting their message across but, as another poster mentioned, of "fitting in" with their peers and not sounding pretentious (shame that there is that fear, simply because one chooses to speak correctly). I have a co-worker who constantly says things like, "he don't care" or "she ain't got". (Of course, I would never correct her.) I would never speak that way, no matter how long I'm around her.

@Texasmouse

Now here's a real dilemma ......  

If you hear someone repeatedly make cringe-worthy comments, wouldn't you be doing them a favor to gently take them aside and explain their grammar mistake,  giving them an opportunity to improve their speaking skills .... or is it always "rude" to help someone.    

Reminds me of the old "you've got spinach in your teeth" notification ...  is it always wrong?

It's been my personal experience that they know, and prefer to continue speaking the way they have been to blend in with peers. If most people you are around most of the time speak incorrectly, a person may indeed know the correct way to say something but it almost doesn't register vs. wanting to sound like everyone else and feel comfortable with that.

Correcting rarely has an effect other than varying degrees of pissing people off. Most people feel like you're shaming them. My mother did it until the day she died. I couldn't convince her it was other peoples' choice, not because they didn't know. She couldn't conceive of people who wouldn't want to speak correctly.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Not among those who speak well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Newgate wrote:

@Newgate

Accidental typos aside ......   I find it hard to believe that someone would notice that something they just typed was wrong, and not correct it.  Who does that?

How can anyone see what they know is a mistake and let it remain?   

Honored Contributor

Those who don't  care or think it doesn't  matter, it does. When you make a  phone call, the impression you make depends entirely  on your voice, grammar, and pronunciation. The recipients  form their opinion of you as to your education, income, social standing, class and respond accordingly.

Honored Contributor

@evelyner wrote:

I have not heard that yet, but my pet peeve is the fact that people do not conjugate anymore.  I have heard " I have went"  Don't they teach verbs in school anymore?

They barely teach reading, don't teach writing, so why should they worry about conjugating verbs?  The kids can't even write the word.