Trusted Contributor

Re: Are there any subjects you enjoy learning about?

I have several things I enjoy learning about but the two (2) that fascinates me the most are:

(1)   The Mothman Sightings & the Collapse of the Silver Bridge between Pt. Pleasant, West Virginia and Gallipolis, Ohio. I had never heard of it until I was dating my husband and every week-end had to cross the replacement bridge. Fact or fiction it was enough to scare me when I crossed over and I don't scare easily.

(2).  The Bermuda Triangle

Esteemed Contributor

I am fascinated with all things astronomy.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal 

Many. If it interests me I always like learning more. Right now I am learning more about the birds that visit our feeders. Just put up an Oriole feeder yesterday. I did the digging, my wife put up the feeder. 

Me learning about birds? Who'da thought?

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

The underground railroad has always fascinated and amazed me. My daughter did several reports on this when she was in school.

I also find it interesting how so many of us can see things so differently, in social situations.

Another thing that has always interested me are mental health issues. For instance, people who see and hear things that are not there. Can you imagine having to learn a new job, when you are hearing voices that no one else can hear?

Respected Contributor

Science, especially anything to do with astronomy. My DH is a retired scientist and we have a lot of interesting talks. I've always said, and I still do, that being married to a scientist is a lot of fun!

Respected Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Geography. At age 10 I asked for a globe and subscription to National Geographic. I like using Google Earth, too. 

Me too! I'd love to have a large globe but the one I want is something like $200+. It's also fascinating to think about how geography has influenced history.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

For instance, UFO's or Bigfoot.  Something that's still not totally known about, or at least very little is known about it.  Not just the two mentioned, but anything you are aware of or still wonder about and it catches your attention, if on t.v. or radio. 

There's still so many things in life of interest.  

It's funny you use Bigfoot and UFOs as your examples, @qualitygal , because those are two topics I binge watch on Prime, Netflix, and YouTube, along with any of the "haunting" shows on any channel kind enough to offer them.

In order of preference:  Bigfoot, hauntings, then UFOs.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Loved these responses.

I was a teacher for many years (44) and for half that time taught in a gifted program. In the beginning, my partner and I would create 9 week themes and the students,4 and 5 th graders, could choose the theme they wanted to study. Some examples were :

Who Dunnit It? - Mysteries and mysterious phenomenon such as Bigfoot, Yeti, Bermuda Triangle, Amelia Earhart disappearance

Take it For Granted-  geology

Dig It!- archaeology 

More Power to You- electricity

Red, White, and Blue - play about theConstitution and American Democracy 

Chung Kow- Ancient China

Meet the Masters - Art History

We were  not experts in any field but learned enough to guide the students to learning about these topics.

Thestudents were also excited to see their new classes.

Best teaching I ever did......until the powers that be changed it.

Frequent Contributor

Nature.  I want to learn names of more flowers, trees, etc.  Also love learning more about animals and wildlife.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut  Jon, my husband is reading about birds too.  He is taking more pictures of them this year.  We watched something on t.v. the other night, and there's more birds than I thought.  Amazing.