Contributor

Re: Are there any subjects you enjoy learning about?Always

I always had curiosity about historical timelines.  No history professor ever taught anything about it (back then).

Later, I was happy to find that timeline charts were available illustrating world events that occurred simultaneously.

Today, we have information from almost everywhere in the world available to us. I was going to provide a for instance and was  referred to the "South China Morning Post" in which there is an article stating Chinese Party leaders were studying Alexis de Tocqueville's opinions on the French Revolution.  SAY WHA'? 

So, because I do not know A THING about that, I have something to look up.  I just hope I don't get sidelined by French perfumes, which I truly enjoy~~

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are there any subjects you enjoy learning about?

@songbird wrote:

Microhistory.  It's genre of events in history narrowed down to one person or, one event or even one object.  And how that impacts the history it creates.  I got interested in it through a couple of books.  One is called A Distant Mirror   It's actually about the 14th Century in France.  To talk about it, the author used the real life of a nobleman who lived at the time.  He survived the Black Death, and the 100 years war (France vs Britain)    Fascinating reading.  Here is a list of Microhistory books

https://booksicon.com/2018/09/20/top-500-microhistory-books/

This is why I enjoy this board so much! I have never heard of microhistory, I have to go look that up!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Are there any subjects you enjoy learning about?

@qualitygal 

I did a paper on The Shroud of Turin while I was in school, many years ago. I am always interested in hearing anything about that. Also- UFO's & the Bermuda Triangle.