Honored Contributor

Re: Are there any subjects you enjoy learning about?

I enjoy the Science Channel - Astronomy and Physics.

Black holes and “dark matter” fascinate me.

They come with some interesting and some absurd thoughts/theories.

Valued Contributor

I love learning about everything and anything. As the saying goes, A mind is a terrible thing to waste Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

Meteorology, as I find the weather fascinating.    Though I wasn't great at science I always enjoyed our science projects in school.  I was in high school during a solar eclipse and our science teacher had us make those silly cardboard things with a pinhole so we could look through it to view the eclipse outside.  It  was actually pretty cool as was he, and I never forgot it.  Glad I still have my eyesight though!!  LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Microhistory.  It's genre of events in history narrowed down to one person or, one event or even one object.  And how that impacts the history it creates.  I got interested in it through a couple of books.  One is called A Distant Mirror   It's actually about the 14th Century in France.  To talk about it, the author used the real life of a nobleman who lived at the time.  He survived the Black Death, and the 100 years war (France vs Britain)    Fascinating reading.  Here is a list of Microhistory books

https://booksicon.com/2018/09/20/top-500-microhistory-books/

Esteemed Contributor

Geography. At age 10 I asked for a globe and subscription to National Geographic. I like using Google Earth, too. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like watching the space, UFO and ghost shows. I also like ancient Egyptian shows on mummies and pyramids etc.

Honored Contributor

I like reading up on the latest nutrition information... supplements... etc.  I do enjoy Life Extension magazine that comes out monthly. 

Honored Contributor

Geology. It's the deep history of the planet we are living on. Driving through the countryside and being able to identify a rockface as likely shale or granite or sandstone is very satisfying.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Microhistory.  It's genre of events in history narrowed down to one person or, one event or even one object.  And how that impacts the history it creates.  I got interested in it through a couple of books.  One is called A Distant Mirror   It's actually about the 14th Century in France.  To talk about it, the author used the real life of a nobleman who lived at the time.  He survived the Black Death, and the 100 years war (France vs Britain)    Fascinating reading.  Here is a list of Microhistory books

https://booksicon.com/2018/09/20/top-500-microhistory-books/

I have that book and I love it! I also have the whole series of "A History of Private Life" books. Knowing what life was like for everyday Romans (they ate a lot of street food and mostly lived in tenement apartments with no kitchens, hence the street food) or medieval folks (in towns your backyard was basically a garbage pit where you buried your trash, sort of early composting!) makes me understand history so much better than just knowing when the wars were and who the kings were.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

You ladies all have such great interests.  It still is so much fun to learn.  You all have great subjects, to further check on.  

I love the places you can travel to, mountains, surfing, and big waves.  Oh, there's so many.  The Royals, the White House. Williamsburg,   Etc.  So very much.  

Today it was about the Biltmore on YouTube.  One lady awhile back had talked about this and today, I got to see and learn some interesting facts about it.

Keep learning and I'd love to hear of more interests. Thanks again!!