Respected Contributor

Are there any other University of Phoenix (or other online) instructors here?

I know someone else posted on another thread that they also taught online.  The instructor forums are dead basically on Phoenix Connect and I'd love to see if anyone else is an online instructor to share our stories.  I've been teaching for 9 years and I teach Industrial Safety--I'm a Safety Manager in real life.

Respected Contributor

Re: Are there any other University of Phoenix (or other online) instructors here?

I kind of would like to inquire about being an instructor. I have a RN MSN and a MBA, I am a health care manager. How do you like it? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are there any other University of Phoenix (or other online) instructors here?

Is University of Phoenix a for-profit school or a state funded university?

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Is University of Phoenix a for-profit school or a state funded university?

Private, for profit.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I am but not for University of Phoenix. 

Respected Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I kind of would like to inquire about being an instructor. I have a RN MSN and a MBA, I am a health care manager. How do you like it? 

@conlt, I'm sorry, I meant to answer this much sooner.  If you want to be an instructor there, go to the website and search jobs, they will post what faculty positions they are hiring for.  They require a master's degree (which you have) to teach and relevant experience.  The hiring process was pretty tedious as I recall, there is a 5 week facilitator training (that's what they call adjunct faculty) and then (in the past) you have to do an actual class that is shadowed by a mentor.

When I started many years ago, I got one class right after another and then a couple of years ago--I literally had one class that year.  You have to teach at least one a year to stay 'qualified'.  The pay isn't great when you start and you put in a lot more hours than you think you will.  It's good for some vacation money and I get a lot of satisfaction when I have a good class that actually puts some effort into it.  This current class that I have 6 more days of has been the most miserable class I have taught in my 8 years or maybe it's 9 years.  They have no ambition and can't follow basic instructions.  I might have one or two students like that occasionally, but this class, it has been every single person.

Your background may be a really good match.  I think they hire health care facilitators a lot.