Valued Contributor

Re: Are there any African American and/or Hispanic Heritage New Hosts?

@SahmIam wrote:

Beyond Shawn, Jill and Rick, I could NOT tell you the name of a host or what they look like. They only reason I know these 3 is because of all the threads that are started about them so I looked them up. Hosts mean nothing to me; I'm there to see the product. They could have a steel robot selling it and that would be fine.

To base whether or not you're going to purchase a product due to the color/ethnicity of a person is wrong, in my opinion. But people DO do this, just like they support those that look like themselves or come from their community even in the event they are in no way qualified for the job/position. Businesses capitalize on this and it's the norm, sadly. Slippery slope to support that mind set.

Overall, I would rather see the VENDOR do the selling and have the host be in the background. 

For most, this is not a conscious decision. It is smart business to diversify, knowing that people are automatically drawn to and will buy from someone to whom they relate.  I don't think it's sad. It's good business sense.

Respected Contributor

I'll just say that someone can certainly have Hispanic heritage that is not in evidence in his or her surname or appearance. The same thing applies also to being African-American. 

There are many more kinds of diversity in the world than race and/or ethnicity. It would be refreshing to see QVC step up and hire a visibly disabled host, for example, and gender-nonspecific (although I think that would make one board member's head explode). A new hire who's 65-plus and isn't just aging into it from being on the Q for the past century would be a nice addition as well.

But they're catering to a demographic and responding to norms, not creating new ones. When others have blazed those trails, paved them, and Comfort Inns have been built next to their off ramps, QVC will come aboard.

Last thing, I looked at the bio of the new hosts. Courtney Khondabi is a born beauty. She's got the bone structure silly women think they can fake by painting stripes on their cheeks. I hope she gets to do a lot of the beauty presentations.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Just Bling  Agree with you, doesn't sound like Athecat.

Sounds like her to me.

Yep...filter-less.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Maudelyn wrote:

@SahmIam wrote:

Beyond Shawn, Jill and Rick, I could NOT tell you the name of a host or what they look like. They only reason I know these 3 is because of all the threads that are started about them so I looked them up. Hosts mean nothing to me; I'm there to see the product. They could have a steel robot selling it and that would be fine.

To base whether or not you're going to purchase a product due to the color/ethnicity of a person is wrong, in my opinion. But people DO do this, just like they support those that look like themselves or come from their community even in the event they are in no way qualified for the job/position. Businesses capitalize on this and it's the norm, sadly. Slippery slope to support that mind set.

Overall, I would rather see the VENDOR do the selling and have the host be in the background. 

For most, this is not a conscious decision. It is smart business to diversify, knowing that people are automatically drawn to and will buy from someone to whom they relate.  I don't think it's sad. It's good business sense.

I said that in my reply. 

As for people NOT being aware of it...you gotta be kidding. I'll put it this way...I've sat on a jury and had someone say they wouldn't convict the person because of this reason. I've seen it in action in a negative way too many times to know it does happen. My opinion, I'm sticking to it.

Trusted Contributor

I can understand seeking a diversity in the appearance of the models but as to hosts, I don't see it.  I don't particularly care about the ethnic background of my hosts.  I like them to be well prepared, speak clearly, provide information about the product, show the product (stop hiding the back of earrings please!) and not be overly pushy.  My two favorite hosts happen to be Mary Beth and Leah.  I find them to be both professional and yes, very likeable.  While I also find them to be attractive, I suspect that is because I perceive a sweetness and kindness that emanates from the inside outward. 
Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

The host's ethnicity and gender don't matter to me.  I'm more interested in competence and professionalism.  Being able to thoroughly describe a product without lots of distracting mannerisms and comments is way more important to me.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom... your post is so funny! Lol..
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Annabellethecat66

These are the new hosts.  They'll be on air in late June.

Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, people standing, shoes and indoor

@lolakimono

Thanks for posting them.  I don't understand why some posters think they all look alike.   Well, at least they don't to me.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy Just had Bill the cat to the Vets...bladder infection...now on special diet.  That cat is my everything...Thanks for asking...I'm doing well but tiny boo boo won't heal.  Talking about sending me to a 'wound Dr'...ever heard of one of those?  Hummm???

Anyway, I wasn't trying to cause problems or stir things up.  I've mentioned this before.  I think I notice things because I usually have QVC on in one room or another to hear talking...

The thing about this country that makes it soooo wonderful is when we walk up to someone we don't know anything about them.  People are from everywhere.  They speak many languages and because someone looks Asian doesn't mean anything here....I'm not doing a very good job of explaining it (and being politically correct).

But if you REALLY knew me (which a few people here do) you'd know I am just asking a question since they are hiring so many new people at once, why not at least look for some new Vendors (we'd like to see other Vendors, right?)

I have no ulterior motive here.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 Did you see where some people said your account had been hacked and this wasn't really you posting?