Respected Contributor

Re: Are there a lot of roundabouts in your area?

Growing up we had a lot of circles (that's what we called them) but due to more traffic on the road, accidents, etc. they ended up cutting through the circles and putting up traffic lights.

Now, not too far from me, there used to be a 3 way intersection and they just turned it into a "roundabout". I was shocked to see one since it's been a long time any of these were in this area.

It's not hard to manuever around, but I wonder if younger drivers even know how to go around them?

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Valued Contributor

Ireland is where I encountered my first roundabout and it certainly was challenging , we just kept going around until we figured out how to get out. They're putting a lot of them in Michigan , even our small town has one. Talked to a bus driver in Ireland and he said 'just jeep to the right '  .  

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

I never saw one until 5 years ago. It was on a street I use to live near and ran miles while training. Fortunately there are few where we live. 

I personally don't see the purpose of them, quite the contrary,  I see them as a safety issue. People in our city are not sure who has " the right of way", equals WRECKS.

Five years ago is when more cities in the US started adding them, so you're absolutely right about that.

Studies show roundabouts actually decrease accidents and, more importantly, they decrease fatalities from accidents. You can read more about how here: http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/intersection/roundabouts/fhwasa08006/

Austin has some of the worst drivers I have ever seen anywhere in the US and I have to say, I've never seen any real trouble or an accident in the roundabouts. Maybe the fact that they force people to slow down and really think about what's happening is a good thing. We don't have any two-lane roundabouts and I think those are definitely more difficult because of people crossing between inner and outer lanes.

Honored Contributor

@Montana wrote:
Where I used to live they were called circles. In some of the circles, cars entering always had the right of way. A kind of "street" law. I know this was against the actual law, but that is the way it was. Everyone knew how it worked so there were no problems. There are no circles where I live now and I don't miss them.

As far as stopping for pedestrians, I do not trust cars to stop at those crossings. Most drivers ignore them.

they are called traffic circles OR roundabouts in our area......both terms are used. i wonder if they are becoming more popular because they require less maintenance  than traffic signals?......they also look a lot better. most of them here have beautiful landscaping and some during the holidays are decorated with christmas trees and other decorations.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

We don't have any in my city but there are quite a few of them in Dublin, Ohio. That's where I first saw them and it was sort of a disaster when they were first put in.  LOL

Respected Contributor

There are several where I live.  I don't find them that complicated.  Maybe ours are smaller.  Most are not on any major arteries, mainly secondary roads.  

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

They're determined here to do away with them, and I can't see the advantage, safety or financial or otherwisw, to disposing of them.
Everyone here drives like a maniac, so straight road or traffic circle or round about, somebody's always going to be headed straight at you.
Respected Contributor

We call them rotaries.  We have them; I suppose some areas have more than other areas but honestly, I can't say I've ever actually thought about them.  A rotary is a rotary. 

Respected Contributor

We have a few. When we go to Sedona,AZ, there are a lot of them. I don't like them because so many people don't yield when they're supposed to.
Respected Contributor

There a two up by the university in our town, and you couldn't pay me to go on one of them, or both I should say.Those kids race around on them  but then they drive like crazy all around this town.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".