Respected Contributor

Re: Are there a lot of roundabouts in your area?

We have one right at the entrance to our neighborhood!  Most every county seat has one in the center of town with the courthouse right in the middle of the round-a-bout. 

There are lots of them in ireland!  Between all the round-a-bouts and driving on the opposite side of the road, we had quite a challenge!

Honored Contributor

Are roundabouts the same as rotaries?

Respected Contributor

None where we live.  I have only seen one once many years back.  It looked sort of confusing to me since I wasn't familiar with them.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

The tyres of my automobile like them very much.

Just remember, if you are in the roundabout, you have the right of way not the car entering the roundabout!

I like roundabouts, but this is the problem... a lot of people don't understand the rules of the roundabout.  Also if you go into the roundabout in a certain lane, stay in that lane until the other lane is clear.  A lot of people just move over without looking.

Esteemed Contributor

There are some in our newly adopted home town of 2 years.  The one closest to me is large and has a gold plated statue of someone on a horse in the middle of it.  Landscaping is beautiful.  However, every time I have to traverse this round-a-bout, I must be mindful of where I started, which lane I'm in, must move over a lane to the left and get out of it 2 streets over from where I started, without getting hit or hitting anyone.

They're ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

there seem to be more and more popping up around our area.

i know how to use them, but i sure wish OTHERS did. for me i am extra cautious when i am going through. i dont care if i have the right of way or not once i am in one, not everyone actually knows that and they just bulldoze their way through. there are also pedestrian crosswalks on all of the entrances......cannot even tell you how few cars will actually stop as someone is stepping into the crosswalks.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

We have a few around our new area.  If you don't know to expect it, suddenly finding yourself in one can be hairy.

They are talking about installling a few in our former city.  DH and I got a good laugh at that idea --- there's a segment of people there who are barely able to navigate a straight line.  A roundabout would be pure entertainment to sit back and watch.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

It is the law that when anyone steps into a crosswalk anywhere the traffic must stop. I know some people don't but that is the law.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They're completely annoying.  Too many people can't figure out how to drive in them and it causes a mess. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I don't understand what people are confused about. if you are in the roundabout you have the right of way - if you are entering you must YIELD to the cars who are already in and have the right of way. We have 2 in our small town. I've never seen an accident in either one.